The Pantanal


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Mato Grosso do Sul » Bonito
March 5th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I just came back from 4 days in the Pantanal, the largest wetlands area around. It´s supposed to be the biggest concentration of wildlife as well, but if it is, I didn´t see it.
The first day was basically just getting there from Campo Grande (a 5 hour ride, after 16 hours from Iguazu). The pousada (lodge) is pretty nice, built on stilts, which is a good thing because the whole Pantanal is flooded at the moment.
The next day we went on a car safari (driving along the only road in the Pantanal, which is a dirt road) and seeing animals, then walking (sometime into the water) and not seeing much animals. We saw most of the animals from the car, hardly any during our walk. You can see most of the animals we saw in the photos, but we did see a few animals that I didn´t photograph fast enough, like a maned wolf. Too bad for you.
The following two days were spent doing other activities like a boat ride along the river (where we didn´t see much animals), a horse riding trip (on a weird combination between a horse and a donkey, but not a mule) and
Cows on the RoadCows on the RoadCows on the Road

On the way there
seeing not much animals, piranha fishing (nobody caught any), and tubing (Abuvim) which was fun, but again, not much animals.
Basically it was a nice relaxing trip, with a few animals, and a lot of mosquitoes. The capyvara in the photos is the guide´s pet, which he rescued when she was a baby.
Now I´m in Bonito, a nice town which is supposed to have crystal clear water for snorkeling. I´ll stay here a day or two, and then go somewhere, I´m not sure exactly where.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Stupid BirdsStupid Birds
Stupid Birds

I can´t remember their name
Big Stupid BirdsBig Stupid Birds
Big Stupid Birds

I can´t remember their name


Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb