São Luis


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Maranhão » São Luis
July 26th 2005
Published: July 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

From the tranquility and beauty of the small towns on the coast we made our way 4 hours north to our next stop, São Luis. We were looking forward to the city because of the historic centre where a number of buildings have been restored. Well its true that some have indeed been restored but its also true that most havent. The Lonely Planet describes São Luis as "one of Brazil´s architectural gems" - i have got to be honest - i have seen better architecture elsewhere in Brazil - more colonial and better preserved. I know that this is one of the few places in Brazil where they tile the outside of the buildings but not enough have been done - and some have been restored very poorly.

But we made the best of it and wondered round the historic centre for a day or two and one evening were lucky enough to see some of the São Joao festival that makes this part of the country famous.

We werent too sad that we only stayed three days and headed off on a 13 hour bus journey to Belem.

Oh yeah - before i forget if you are ever coming to São Luis - bring plenty of money - it is ridicously expensive - even the naff pousadas / hotels charge an absolute fortune. And the ones that dont - well you wouldnt walk around after dark by them if you wanted to keep your wallet !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb