Cabure !!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Maranhão » Barreirinhas » Caburé
July 26th 2005
Published: July 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Dan Dan Dan

Another day - another deserted , beautiful beach !
From Paulinho Neves we went about an hour up the beach to Cabure. Normally this wouldnt be a major event - however we hired a local guy to take us in his buggy - he was cheaper than the rest - on the journey we discovered why - he basically couldnt drive on sand - which is kind of a key criteria for driving along the beach at reasonable high speeds ! After nearly throwing us out of the buggy twice and then getting a flat tyre - we decided that a 20 minute walk with the backpacks in the baking heat wouldnt be such a bad idea !!

Cabure is a bizare place - it is basically a piece of sand - with a major river on one side and the sea on the other. There are a few pousadas there but not a lot else.

We did a lovely walk one day for about 1 hour and a half up the beach to see where the river met the ocean. On the way we managed to see a flock of the beautiful scarlet guara birds - they are truly stunning - and unfortuantely the one photo we have doesnt really do them justice. They were to prove extremely elusive for the remainder of our stay - we walked back to where we had seen them and even went hunting for them in a boat one evening but all to no avail.

From Cabure we caught a speedboat down the river for 3 hours to Barreirinhas - en route we visited the lighthouse at Mandacuru, went down a gorgeous iguarape (the silence in them is un-nerving) and stopped off at a very unique bar - its a hut on the sand but the very cool thing is that they have a lot of wild , yet friendly, cappuchin monkeys there - that are more than happy to come and eat coconut once you have cut it open for them. They were completely comical.

So yet again we seemed to spend our time walking along beautiful deserted beaches , swimming , eating and drinking. Tough life.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb