Sun, fun and Free Flight


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Distrito Federal » Brasília
February 22nd 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

My last week has been one of interesting reflections and fun times. Since monday i have moved up to Aguas Lindas which is in the Federal District of Brazilia...400 km north of Itumbiara.

The first thing that struck me when i got here was how much it looked like Kanyamazane in South Africa. The sun is scorching everyday, it has not rained one bit since i got here last monday, the buildings here are constantly being developed in a very brick and mortar kind of roughness all the time, and the only paved ones seem to the main ones or the bus routes. As a result travelling around by car or on the back of a bike, makes for some interesting dust filled rally-type excitement, with more flat tyres then anyone could wish for!

I just got back from the project early in the afternoon, through the first rainfall since i have been here, it hasn't rained in a week and it was sorely needed only the problem is the dirt roads turn into churning mud rivers flooding everywhere it seems!

Needless to say the people here are wonderful. There is a beauty that people live in a simple way, not just because they do not have lots of money, but also because its a culture of kindness... towards me anyways. Once again the stories of crime and violence get people talking all the time, it just seems such a shame that it happens all to often.

My time at the free flight project is mainly taken up with playing football and basketball with the kids that turn up there! i have helped out ina few english and music classes, but its difficult to teach with hardly any portugese to my name. The sport is fun though, we seem to play all day everyday.... ive been trying in bear feet, not just to 'fit in' but also because my trainers just get caked in mud and dust everytime i play around in them! bear feet leave me sore though, so im nursing them tonight with a cold ice bucket i think.

The project's advantages are amazing. Not only does it offer free english, music, portuguese and handicraft lessons, they make t-shirts and to make money to run the place, have a fully functional ice-cream shop of 'sorvetera' and are in the process of setting up a printing and graphics shop, as well as a bakery in the pipeline. The social advantage for the people that go there is good though. More then anything it gives people something to do, and sometime and encouragement to realise they are talented and gifted people that can hopefully make something of themselves, using the things they are good at!

Anyway, its been fun, looking forward to the next couple of weeks, and hopefully more fun times ahead!

ciao x


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb