Salvador


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
December 28th 2014
Published: December 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Terreiro de JesusTerreiro de JesusTerreiro de Jesus

View of the Cathedral and the old faculty of Medecine, now a museum.
Salvador is proud to be the first capital of Brazil. In fact it was the capital of the Portuguese Empire from 1549 till 1815 when the capital was transferred to Rio de Janeiro.

It was occupied by the Dutch (Piet Hein) in 1624 and 1625 when a Spanish-Portuguese fleet succeeded in recapturing the city and...the colony ! It played afterwards a key role in the Portuguese resistance against the Dutch.

The Pelourinho is the historical center of Salvador, a UNESCO heritage site. It has been restored, only partially in my view. A few of the pics will tell you more.

Coming from the South of Brazil, there are 2 things that struck me, the visible Portuguese heritage and the population melting pot with a strong African influence.

The bay where Salvador is located (Bahia de Todos os Santos) is the second largest bay in Brazil covering 1,223 square Km.

It has beautiful beaches, the Porto da Barra beach was elected the 3rd best beach in the world by an English newspaper in 2007.

We stayed in the Barra neighbourhood from where we explored the city by taxi, they are cheap. A trip to Pelourinho cost about 20 real or 6 euros.

Enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Church od St FranciscoChurch od St Francisco
Church od St Francisco

covered in gold and precious jacaranda wood (kind of ebony)
Nice Portuguese heritageNice Portuguese heritage
Nice Portuguese heritage

The restoration of this beautiful building has probably already been paid...
Forte da BarraForte da Barra
Forte da Barra

The lighthouse is located in the fort
Restaurante PereiraRestaurante Pereira
Restaurante Pereira

We enjoyed a nice lunch in this somewhat upmarket restaurant.
City and beach viewCity and beach view
City and beach view

The Barra neighbourhood is situated at an angle with beached at both sites.
Pousada Estrela do MarPousada Estrela do Mar
Pousada Estrela do Mar

Relaxing ousite our room, on our little terrasse


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb