Carnival time!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
February 26th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Salvador carnivalSalvador carnivalSalvador carnival

Timbalada Bloco
Got to Salvador one night before Carnival after managing to find a fairly reasonably priced ticket. As we didn´t book our carnival tickets in advance on the internet, like we were advised to, we had to go into an official ticket office in Barra Shopping Centre and pay top price. We decided to go for the Timbalada Bloco and the Skol Camarote which were both about 100GBP each. What you then do, once you have your ticket, is jump on the bus to the conference centre and queue for about 3 hours to get your abada, which is like a t-shirt for entry into your bloco or camarote. We pretty much wated a whole day sorting out carnival tickets. We got back and noticed everyone else were just getting their abadas from the black market.

First day of carnival was pretty crazy, we just walked around and sussed out what was going on, we took note of any cool blocos we liked the look of, which weren´t touristy, so the followings days we were just getting abadas for the local blocos for about 10-20GBP at the black market.

Timbalada was really good though and the Skol camarote was wicked
Salvador carnivalSalvador carnivalSalvador carnival

Timbalada Bloco
as well. It was a bit like an exclusive club with unlimited free drinks (no food!). Boucs and I started of with beers, then I got smashed on Maracuja (freshly squeezed passion fruit juice with shit loads of vodka!) The camarote itself was about 3 floors and had different rooms and sections and a disco inside playing cool funky house music.

On one of the days we were coming back from our bloco and bumped into the Chilean guys from Buzios, so partied with them which was cool.

In Salvador we stayed in Barra. After the carnival we visited Pelourinho, the historic centre, went on the famous elevator, walked around the markets and saw capoiera demonstrations. We also arranged a day trip to the island of Morro de Sao Paulo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Salvador carnivalSalvador carnival
Salvador carnival

Barra sunset
Salvador carnivalSalvador carnival
Salvador carnival

Skol Camarote - Free Havaianas!
Salvador carnivalSalvador carnival
Salvador carnival

Skol Camarote
Salvador carnivalSalvador carnival
Salvador carnival

Skol Camarote
Salvador carnivalSalvador carnival
Salvador carnival

Skol Camarote
Salvador carnivalSalvador carnival
Salvador carnival

Skol Camarote
SalvadorSalvador
Salvador

Barra Beach
SalvadorSalvador
Salvador

Pelourinho
PelourinhoPelourinho
Pelourinho

Pelourinho
PelourinhoPelourinho
Pelourinho

The elevator


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb