Little piece of Paradise - Morro do Sao Paulo


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Morro de São Paulo
January 18th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Morro do Sao Paulo - known as Bahia´s best beach town!



Perched on top of rocky island, Morro´s charm stems from its unique geography with jungle-topped hills and mangrove lined canals, in the perfectly clear Atlantic. The Lonely Planet informed us that a colonial history aswell as steep hills has led to the wheelbarrow being the primary mode of transport on the island. The few roads, were sandy - literally just an extension of the beachs and locals walked barefoot.

We were warned by 3 people that the 2 hour catamaran journey over to this lovely little island was rocky to say the least - they said it was the 1st time they´d ever been sea sick - so in preparation we had empty bellies - but much to our delight it was a smooth crossing only spoiled by some terribly cheesy popular brazillian music video they played at extreme volume! The journey back was however true to their tales, more than 30%!o(MISSING)f the boat were hurling almost everywhere, and Kate sat their feeling awful but holding it in the whole passing - really discusting!

On arrival, it looked tropical and the trusty lonely planet was right - wheelbarrow taxis awaited us to carry our bags up the steep approach. Once settled into a nice poussada on the main little street we set of to explore this mini paradise - the next few days were pleasantly spent...lazing on the white sand beaches and swimming in the gorgeously warm sea - more than 38 degrees we recon - was good!

There were 4 beaches to choose from, all of them lovely, so we might have been spoilt for choice had we not have found beach 4 to be our piece of heaven! Much futher round the coast, most people settled for the other beaches, so it was almost a deserted long stretch of beach - full of palm trees to lie under and spent nice long days reading and practising chess - whether Kate liked it or not!!

One afternoon we hired a 2man kayak and paddled over to a little island, where we were happily exploring the rock pools and trapped fishes, when Christian noticed our kayak had drifed way out to sea and was being carried away in the current, like a true sea-hero the tall swede sprung into action and fortunatley rescued it with only a few scratches and banged knees to show!!!

Feeling adventurous, we explored the island on foot, treking up hills and into the local part which was interesting and beautiful. To say this is a popular brazilian tourist island, as yet tourism hasn´t ruined it and the slow, laid back and traditional way of life reins on nicely (donkeys instead of trucks!).

Not much more to say about this island except it was truly lovely - we reccomend it to anyone - could hardly believe we were so close to the busy and chaotic city of Salvador in this tranquil beautiful beach island. So far... it´s definitely our number 1 Brazilian beach..but still counting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



11th February 2007

Marvellous-fantastiskt
Hey guys, lovely pics. We where wondering where the pics gone... where the hell is that blogg:) Anyway it look like ur having a fab time. Here its cold and snowy, which i do not mind!!! Is it suppose to be winter there should be snow!!! Anyway take care and spk soon. Lots off love Linda and Maggan.
19th February 2007

My god...
Hey you guys! Such wonderful pictures you´ve been taking! And so well written, you should become a writer! =) It´s great to be able to read about your adventures over there, and really inspiring! Youre not missing anything over here, i´ll tell you!! I hope you have the time of your lifes. Enjoy every second of it!! Keep on discovering the corners of the world, and keep on telling us about them! Lots of love, and cold but warm hugs, from snowy-white sweden! /Saga
21st February 2007

Hi Kate and Christian, it's great to be able to keep track of your travels this way, you lucky things, and we are glad you are having a good time. If you find anywhere better than the UK, e.g. better weather, bigger cheaper housing, no council tax, etc (it can't be difficult!)...let us know and we'll emigrate :-). We have shown mum (Hilda) the website and she keeps asking if you have added any more. I am sure everyone is missing you both, but time flies, so enjoy yourselves, take care, lots of love, Karen/Keith/Eliz/Ryan/Hilda

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb