Jungle day 3- bite day


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Amazonas » Manaus
February 23rd 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -3.10719, -60.0261

The previous night I'm not sure how many mosi's were trapped in our net or whether my legs touched the net whilst asleep, but the back of my legs got somewhat annihilated!! Also James developed a bad belly in the night and had not slept. He stayed in bed throughout breakfast, with a visit in the middle from Gilmar, just what you want when you are feeling crappy! He laughed at him and asked him to play football!! Brilliant! I dosed him up with rehydration salts and by his orders left him on bed whilst we went on a morning hike!

As soon as we left the boat to go into the jungle, the heavens opened. It was like a shower had be turned on and we were drenched in seconds. Also this meant every mosquito in the area was on attack mode, even through the clothes we were wearing! We looked at similar things to the previous day with plants that make Vicks, ants which you squish as bug repellent and grubs the tribes eat for protein! Without James there to call me a whimp and bully me into it, I declined eating the thing!! After 2 hrs out, we decided to abandon ship and head for home.... 20 bites and counting....

When we returned James was a little perkier and came to have some water melon for lunch. It was decided after the morning attack of the mosquitos that we would abandon trying to sleep in the jungle and just go to a cassava plantation and a pootle down the river seeing as the rain had stopped. He agreed that this would be no longer than 2 hrs as the boy still wasn't a 100% but wanted to come put.

The smell of the cassava nearly finished him off as it smells a little of baby sick, but the family who ran the manufacturing thing gave James some local plants to boil up into a tea to help his stomach!! James did not look to sure.... But wasn't going to do him any harm!

We spent another hour on a jaguar hunt but to no avail so we headed back over sunset! Beautiful!

That evening James had his local tea and ate a plateful of food which stayed in! Hooray!! The Norwegian girl also had some aquavit which is strong alcohol to help digest a meal!!! The local men loved it, although they spent most their life drinking, sleeping and watching tv so it barely touched the side!!

Time for bed... 36 bites was my total!! I must be tasty!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Bare-Throated Tiger HeronBare-Throated Tiger Heron
Bare-Throated Tiger Heron

This thing is so well camouflaged all you can see is his bill.
Bare-Throated Tiger HeronBare-Throated Tiger Heron
Bare-Throated Tiger Heron

Here he is out in the open
Crocodile fence laid across the riverCrocodile fence laid across the river
Crocodile fence laid across the river

Would you trust it? Not me. Not on your life.
Baby iguanaBaby iguana
Baby iguana

He's the same color as the tree bark
AnhingaAnhinga
Anhinga

We saw tons of these


2nd March 2014

NICE pic!
2nd March 2014

Good subjects.
2nd March 2014

beautiful herons. scary crocs!!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb