Venturing Beyond Maceio: Foz do São Francisco e Piaçabuçú


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Alagoas » Maceió
February 22nd 2013
Published: January 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

VENTURING BEYOND MACEIO:


Piaçabuçú e Foz do Sao Francisco



During my trips to Maceio, I usually visit the same places, where our loved ones are. This time I was determined to start exploring a little beyond my usual surroundings.



I had seen a picture of the dunes by where the San Francisco river and the Atlantic ocean meet and was determined to go take a peek during this trip to Maceio.

We packed the car and left for the more than 3 hours drive by the coast.

Along the way, we see green coconut groves, small fisherman homes. I was very glad to see, that although poverty is still seen, misery is not.



Arriving to the town of Piaçabuçú was refreshing: the colorfully painted homes, cobble stone streets, kids playing around, the church towering high. The town is quiet. The many small fishing boats, seemed to lazily rest on the placid water of the "Velho Chico" (Old Chico), as the giant river is affectionately called.





Women wash clothing and dishes on the steps leading to the warm waters, the old traditional way.



We are the only visitors in town, so we get to see life as life is around here: quiet, sleepy, peaceful.

We buy some “castanha” (cashew nuts), shrimp, drinks, and board a big 2 deck boat we rented.



Down the river we went, passing small canoes, tiny shacks, the home to fishermen families, and coconut groves. The sights of mango and guava trees make my mouth water, as memories of childhood come alive; I'd climb the trees to pick deliciously sweet fruit, my favorites.



After about 40 minutes down the river, we can see the white dunes, announcing that the meeting of the river with the mighty Atlantic Ocean is just ahead.

We get off the boat, walked around, played soccer on the dunes and as we start to roast under the scorching sun, we bathed on a small pond of salty and sweet water the high tide had left behind and the ocean retracted.



As the sun began to set, it was time to head home and back on the boat we went, almost gliding the calm waters of the river, taking in the natural, still pristine, warm views.

A day to remember, indeed.

P


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement





26th January 2013
Pipocas

pipocas doces! :D bjs
26th January 2013
Piacabucu

q delicia! not as busy as the Ganges ;)
26th February 2013

Beautiful Pictures
Hi Patricia Beautiful pictures! Hope you are doing well. It is almost a year now since we've been to Bhutan -- time passes so quickly. Cheers from London Dom
2nd March 2013

hi Dominik...
So nice to hear from u. yes... and I still haven't written about Haa. Will be going to Brazil in a couple of wks. Hope u r doing well. Keep in touch.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb