Salt Flats Again, Day 1


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
December 17th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up early in San Pedro as i once again signed up for the Salt Flat tour. I was hoping that it would be a bit different to the first one i did which was from Unuyi and returned to Unuyi. I knew what to expect and had been warning the guys. Amazing scenery, treacherous roads, shit food, a good chance of horrible accommodation and a guide who doesn't speak English. I was right but it was still all worth it.

Up early in san pedro and we had to get a bus to the Chilean border to switch over to our Jeeps. We had to go through immigration and pay a small fee to get in to the national park. If you didn't have the correct change the border guards just decided to charge you a third extra!! I warned the guys about this but a quick word to the owner of the company from al and kelly and some words with the guards, it was sorted. Next we met our guide. I wasnt sure whether to say hello or pat him on the head. He was no way more than 17 years old!! The way it works is you have your guide, a cook(always a young girl) and a dodgy 4x4 to drive over the dodgy roads. So our guide and cook (who was also no more than 15 which they confirmed when they started practicing their Date of births when we arrived at an army outpost) happened to be together. And to add to the mix they brought their new born baby on the trip too. I had to let the girls know your in a different world and not use western minds looking at the obvious cruelty by bringing a child on a dangerous and boiling hot trip.

Off our 2 groups and 2 jeeps went and the first day consisted mainly of visiting spectacular Salt Lagunas. The only real wildlife was around was flamingos. The altitude was really affecting some of our group(one point was 5000 mtrs above sea level, a little over 3000 less than Everest). Me and Melissa were fine apart from short breath but Al and Ben(one of the 3 English guys in our group) werent in good shape. Although it was funny everyone just started falling asleep at one point which is why our guide looked like he was chewing on a snooker ball he had so many Coca Leaves in his mouth!! We all were trying them and they do actually help but taste like your sucking on a teabag!!

After all our site seeing and guiding in Spanish we took a dip in some hot springs which was needed(although it was better last time when it was 6 am and the air was cold as opposed to the boiling afternoon sun) After a quick look at the geysers it was on to the hostel. After trouble with our guide who was turning into a little shit we had a load of beers. We were at about 4200 metres and outside every few minutes the sky would light up with shooting stars which was brilliant. After a pretty cold night we awoke at 5am(an hour early cos everyone forgot to set there clocks forward!!) and on day 2.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb