Day 224 Bolivia, Potosi to Uyuni.


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
June 30th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

As we were leaving Potosi today we decided to have a chilled morning, catching up on Internet, re-packing our bags and things like that.



We went to for lunch at a little café we found near the main square; I had an omelet and Vick a pizza slice.



Our bus was at 13:30 on the email confirmation we had, so we left Potosi at 12.30 to get to the terminal 30 mins early as normal…this is when things started to go wrong!!!



The taxi driver took us to the wrong bus station, after we had worked that out (all in Spanish as no one spoke English), we got a taxi to the right station, (this one Vick panicked because a guy jumped into the passenger seat of the taxi just as we started to pull off (alarm bells: taxi code alert!!), however he was a nice guy. We finally got to the right station with still 15 minutes to spare, however, the bus left a 13:00 apparently, so after some civilized Spanish with the bus company owner, they paid for our onwards travel with a different bus company that had a bus leaving within the next 30 minutes; after all, it was their fault that they changed the bus departure last minute without emailing us. The only issue was, the new bus company that they were paying for was from the bus station we originally went to… so back in the taxi we got.



After all that, we ended up on a bus 30 mins late, which isn’t too bad. Bolivia has no order!!! Tip: book up your bus anywhere in Bolivia the day of travel at the station as it’s easier and cheaper!



We arrived at Uyuni at 17.30, first thing we wanted to do was check into our hostel, which we did. Second was to book up the salt flats 3-day tour, which we did with a company called Thiago Tours, we paid 700 BOB, this is cheap compared to the suggested 900 to 1000 in Lonely Planet. Thirdly we needed to get some Chilean currency, which we did as there are many cash convertors around the area. And lastly, was to get some food, which we did in a little Mexican, where we got tacos (strange but every restaurant seems to be Mexican/Italian).



After diner we headed back to the hostel and showered ready for the next 3 days with no showers available, we chatted to our 4 dorm mates, who we found had paid 600 BOB more than us for their tour-nearly double!!! Soon enough we were fast asleep!



Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb