UYUNI / SALAR DE UYUNI EXCURSION


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
October 22nd 2010
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Uyuni is the starting point for our 3-day 4X4 excursion through the spectacular Salar de Uyuni exploring the stunning landscapes between the Salar de Uyuni and Chile’s Atacama Desert by four-wheel-drive vehicle. Piercing blue skies contrast with blinding white salt as you drive across the flat lakebed. The area’s unusual landscape of mountains and terrain is like nowhere on earth. Its feels like your on the Moon or some place in Mars.

The main attraction in town is the Train Cemetery which we visit on the first day, a collection of rusting railway relics just southwest of the present train station.

The also tour takes us through Laguna Colorada (4278 m above sea level), a large red lagoon and Laguna Verde (5000 m above sea level), a lake that has a striking blue-green colour due to high concentrations of lead, sulphur, copper and other minerals. There is a vast err-ay of both fauna and flora here which is hard to imagine survive in such barren landscape, including flamingos.

There are also numerous geysers, boiling mud pools, thermal baths which we enjoy on the last day and observe Licancabúr volcano (5960 m), which sits just behind the lagoon.

Despite its isolation and challenging climate (cold and blustery) we manage to survive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb