Salar de Uyuni


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
March 30th 2006
Published: July 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Salar de UyuniSalar de UyuniSalar de Uyuni

A tour jeep is crouching its way trough the salt mud of the surface.
In the middle of the Altiplano is the Salar de Uyuni, one of the biggest salt lakes on earth. I spent some days in the town with the same name visit the salt lake and to acclimatize to the high altitude conditions around there and the passes to come.
With a group of mostly spanish speaking guys I had a guided tour of the lake. We drove in a run-down jeep across the extensive white, visited a salt producing family (Well, is more packing than producing, since the salt is already there. It just has to be dried and filled into plastik bags.), visited Isla de pescadores, a cactus island, had fun with salt crystals, and in the evening stoped for some pictures at the old train cementery. It was one of the best places I ever saw for photography. The rusty steamer carcasses in the evening light of the meager green plains around...fantastic. I could have spent days, unfortunatelly rain was coming up, and we had to return to Uyuni.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Salt Lake TourSalt Lake Tour
Salt Lake Tour

With these guys I had my visit to Salar de Uyuni. They all native spanish speakers, plenty of time to practice.
LamasLamas
Lamas

Notice the crazy little pink bow between their ears.
Extracting the SaltExtracting the Salt
Extracting the Salt

In the rainy season a thin layer of water is on top of the salt lake. To extract the salt it is first piled up in heaps to dry in the sun.
Salt CrystalsSalt Crystals
Salt Crystals

Theorie in praxis: What did we learn in chemistry about NaCl (in other words: salt)? That its ions form a cubic lattice. Here you can see that in a lot of different orders of magnitude.
Ojos de SalarOjos de Salar
Ojos de Salar

Spots where hot water and steam created colorful patterns on the lake surface are called the eyes of the lake.
Hotel de SalHotel de Sal
Hotel de Sal

They built a hotel totally out of salt. Even the tables and chairs are made of salt. It wasn't too crowed though.
Isla de las PescadoresIsla de las Pescadores
Isla de las Pescadores

The lake has got several islands, one of the larges ones is full of big cacti.
Big MamaBig Mama
Big Mama

Older ones grow really tall.
Stone ArcStone Arc
Stone Arc

Before the Andes rose the ground forming Altiplano today was below sea level. Many rocks show shell- and coral-like structures.
Returning HomeReturning Home
Returning Home

At dry parts the lake surface had a hexagonal pattern of cracks.
Cementerio de FerrocarrilCementerio de Ferrocarril
Cementerio de Ferrocarril

Wrecks of once proud steam engines in the evening light.
General RelativityGeneral Relativity
General Relativity

It wasn't me who painted that, but this is from the Theory of General Relativity by A. Einstein.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 36; qc: 176; dbt: 0.1207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb