Argentina to Bolivia and the Salt tour


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
June 22nd 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

22nd June, Arriving on an Andesmar bus in La Quiaca at 7.30am in the morning it was dark and cold and damp. The town was very grim and with backpacks on we had to walk across the town to get to the border of Argentina and into Villazon in Bolivia! Unfortunately the map in the lonely planet guide didn't seem to correspond with the roads in front of us so Brim and I found ourselves walking in a huge circle only to get nowhere fast! After asking 3 different people where the border was however, we were finally on track and reached the border an hour later (instead of 20 minutes) to line up for the border crossing. A short wait later we were stamped out of Argentina and stamped into Bolivia! Villazon was cold but as the sun was coming up the heat turned up too 😊 We changed some money and headed to the train station. Half way along the route however we were reliably informed the train was cancelled because of a blockage and had to back track to the bus station (which we had hurriedly left because the state of the buses was scary)! So, back at the bus station, having declared I would not be getting on the local red bus of doom (it was pretty dodgy looking even for Bolivian standards, although we did not see any chicken feathers sticking out of the windows!) we hunted around for a bus company that looked like it may get us to Tupiza in one piece and boarded for a very bumpy 3 hour ride to Tupiza. Bolivia does not have any roads as such, gravel and dirt tracks are the order of the day. Arriving in Tupiza we had reached the outskirts of Bolivian desert and found a hostel, recommended for the fact it had hot showers and crashed out!

Note from Editor: as I am so far behind in my updates I have added here some of the photos of the tour we took from Tupiza to Uyuni. I will fill in the text details as soon as I can! Hope all of you are well and the pictures make up for the lack of information 😊 adios xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb