Coral Castles in the Sky


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Following the Dakar Rally Part 4...Coral Castles in the Sky. The most vivid colours I have ever seen were in St Crispin's Reef...part of the outer reef of the Great Barrier Reef...about 24 miles off the coast of northern Queensland. Snorkeling while hovering over a giant clam...flashes of the brightest richest purple fringed with red as it concertinaed it's serrated shell while blowing bursts of... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 21


Advertisement







17th May 2016

Amazing!
Few comments here, Dave: 1) I didn't know the geological history of the uplift of the Andes. Very interesting. I will run it across some of my geologist colleagues...a great coffee time discussion 2) Did you feel any oxygen deprivation at such a high altitude of >3900m/ I heard many does? 3) This time is it your camera or Denise's? Photos are amazing 4) Is it you in 'Heading for Help'? 5) It's hard to absorb that a place could be that dry 6) Last, but not least,- the lamas are cute...I always thought so...and chicky too!!
17th May 2016

Amazing!
I knew very little about the uplift of the Andes until I researched for this blog Tab. However, there was so much coral at altitude I had to enquire why. That some species dated as Permian...wow! Enjoy discussion with your mates...fascinating. We had no issue with altitude and on occasion were above 5,000 metres. As Denise had had issues in Tibet, we acclimatised in Peru and had no issues with altitude as a result...phew! My 18-200mm lens packed it in at Olantaytambo in Peru and I used Denise's 50mm Sony camera for the rest of the trip...fabulous little lens...saved the day! 'Twas Geneth at the top of the cliff to get help. Amazing to watch her climbing up...on a mission you might say!
17th May 2016

The Danceologist
You are a danceologist. And Wow! That is quite a place with the corals in the sky. Kinda lucky in the sky with diamonds. I think I must go see this Bolivia.
17th May 2016

The Danceologist
Me an 'ologist Andrea? Really? Just a humble dancer...no genius here! As one of the admirers of your blogs I reckon Bolivia would blow your mind. We rate it in the Top 3 most beautiful countries of the World.If my Bolivia blogs so far don't prove the equation, I will submit Q.E.D. in the blogs to come!
17th May 2016
Coral icing, Cacti candles

You seem to like geology
When I read this blog entry I get the feeling that you are fascinated by geology. So am I. I don't deliberately hunt geological oddities but I try to look them up when I happen to be near them. Some of the geological highlights I have seen includes ice cave in Romania last summer, I once hiked through saw the deepest valley in the world in Nepal (6,000 meters deep; the river runs at 2,000 meter height and there is one Eight-thousander towering on each side), I have spent a night on Krakatau and I have visited the mud volcanoes in Gobustan. I'll think about this blog entry when I one day get to visit the highlands in Bolivia/Ake
17th May 2016
Coral icing, Cacti candles

You seem to like geology
If one isn't fascinated by geology then one's eyes are wide shut I reckon Ake. The Rift Valley in Africa, hundreds of volcanoes in Chile, ancient Australia, Danxia formations in China, striated extravaganza in SW USA, coral castles in the sky in Bolivia. I'm still on the floor with head bowed to you Ake...overnight on Krakatau...that's a wow from me!!!
18th May 2016

Llama family
Why are they so cute?
18th May 2016

Why are they so cute?
Watch this space!
18th May 2016

Off the beaten path
Once again you've traveled the dirt road and found some wonderful rock stories to tell. Glad they sang you a song even if you didn't get to climb all of them. Better to be safe and climb another day. Never enough llama photos in my opinion. So many stones so little time. Bolivia sound magnificent.
18th May 2016

Off the beaten path
Rock n Roll I often say...when oft I hear Blues talkin'. Rock n Roll I often say...when off the beaten path I'm walking. (Ancient Llama saying)!
25th May 2016

She stole the show
Every place in this glorious planet of ours has a story to tell & Bolivia is one big tome. Bolivia was a destination tacked on to the end of a long trip & she truly stole the show.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb