Touch down Bolivia


Advertisement
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Waiting in Lima Airport, PeruWaiting in Lima Airport, PeruWaiting in Lima Airport, Peru

Langes Warten in Peru

Touch Down Bolivia



Buenos Dias everybody. Yes that´s right the travel blog of The German Down Under is back. Same structure as before. For the new subscribers usually the first part is in English and second part in German. Or the other way around. It depends on how I feel I guess. The only difference is that I am currently not in Down Under anymore...

So our big trip has started after spending a month in ze home land. We are finally in South America. First stage of our trip has landed us in Bolivia. Bolivia is the poorest country in South America and therefore makes travel very affordable. Bolivia has the size of Spain and France combined and is known for the world´s highest everything. Now that we have been here for almost 2 weeks, here is a little snapshot of some of the differences in Bolivia just to give you a first impression.

Toilets - first thing you learn is that sanitation is kind of non-existent here hence you have to throw your toilet paper in a little bin next to the toilet - noice! Most toilets are disgusting and usually you have to bring your
Typical Bolivian Phone BoothTypical Bolivian Phone BoothTypical Bolivian Phone Booth

Normale Telefonzelle in Bolivien
own toilet paper.

Street Vendors - The gap between poverty and rich people is huge. Obviously the majority of people are very poor. It appears that there is no welfare system in place therefore you see people working all day long no matter if they are 10 years young or 78 years old. On every corner is a street vendor selling anything you wish for. We love the places where you can buy freshly squeezed juices - mostly orange juice. They peel the oranges right in front of you. The markets here are also amazing and there are no health regulations. Meat or dairy products are right in the open without refrigeration and the odd fly comes along too.....! However Ryan and I still eat where the locals eat and so far it has been very good. I guess the only thing we have to be careful of is the water. As soon as you have a drink with ice cubes you get funny feelings in your tummy (I won't go further into this...).
Street vendors seem to pride themselves in building pyramids out of their stock to make it look more appealing - apples, pears, tomatoes, nuts, snacks,
El Fuerte - no rain for onceEl Fuerte - no rain for onceEl Fuerte - no rain for once

El Fuerte - etwas gute Sicht
chips, chocolate bars and so on are all stacked up 2-3 levels high.

Traffic - Traffic is very full on. When we first came here we were wondering why the cars are constantly beeping their horns. Were we in the way? But we have now worked out that this is the Bolivian way of saying 'hey I am approaching the intersection so get the hell outta my way!'. Amazingly enough it works. It is hilarious.

Bus Trips - (and toilets again). Yes the distances are very large in South America - not that we would make it any easier for us coming from Australia. The best way to travel from A to B is to either catch a bus or a shared taxi. Yep we have taken taxi rides of up to 3 hours that have cost us $3. Anyway buses here don’t have toilets on board and it appears even though Bolivians are very small they must have huge bladders; on the contrary to Ryan and myself. So it appears that bussses only stop once on a 12 hour bus journey. The only option we have is dehydrating ourselves for half a day prior - just to be safe. Although Ryan still brings an empty bottle with him.... just in case.
The funniest thing is that when you do stop, people rush out of the bus and they squad there and then. No shame....only the gringo tourists try to hide somewhere behind a tree. Lucky for the Bolivian ladies cause usually they wear 20 layers of skirts so nobody can see them.

Sex - It appears that Bolivians have a lot of sex and don’t really protect themselves. I guess that´s very usual for third world countries. The difference here is that almost every woman has a little kid on their back, wrapped in a complicated blanket system. The amazing thing is that they still keep working whatever they do - sweeping the streets, peeling potatoes, arranging their stock- with the little baby on their back. They seem to be asleep most of the time. When travelling on buses they hardly ever cry. There just seems to be no fuzz about them - so very different to our world!

Doggies - Lastly I have never seen so many stray dogs in my life. It is not unlikely to see 8 to 15 dogs at the same time (any shape or size), running around and looking for food. I am not talking about rural areas. This is right in the heart of any city with lots of traffic. Interestingly enough they have a great sense for traffic (I guess beeping horns help).

All in all Bolivia is a very interesting and diverse country. We really enjoy the vast and different scenery and the colourful culture of the locals. Unfortunately most of the cities can be very dirty as soon as you get to the outskirts. There seems to be no rubbish tips and people just dump their rubbish.

Anyway 2 weeks into our trip and we have seen quite a few places. We flew into Santa Cruz and only spent one night in this city. It wasn’t very interesting to be honest. So glad for all the tips from our South American friend Carrie who seems to know the good hostels and places! Cheers Carrie. So on from Santa Cruz we went uphill to a little town called Samaipata - around 1500m. We spend about 3 days here and started to get used to the altitude.

While in Samaipata we went to a pre-Inca site. What an adventure. We had been told to take the taxi uphill as it was a 10km hike. Mind you these are dirt roads I am talking about. Unfortunately it had been raining a few days before and just started as we were headed out to the mountain. The taxi driver struggled to get up on the muddy road and 2km´s short of the mountain he explained that he wouldn’t make it up there. Noooooooooo! So reluctantly we got out, at a time when it was pouring with rain. Ignoring the rain we made it up to the top of the mountain - very wet and debating whether to check out the site. Well we were here now so we decided to go for it anyway. We actually got lucky as the rain had eased off. When we returned back to the entrance we had hoped to take a taxi back down but there were none left. The rain had picked up again and a storm seemed to be moving in. We had no choice but to start walking downhill - 10kms. 400m´s into our walk and we got drenched to the bone. I have never been so
After our rain episode to the Inca Site El FuerteAfter our rain episode to the Inca Site El FuerteAfter our rain episode to the Inca Site El Fuerte

Total nass und dreckig nach unserer Wanderung
wet. It´s funny to think about it now but at the time it was kind of scary with the thunder and lightning coming closer. We tried to walk quite fast - mind you still getting used to the altitude you still got out of breath quite easily especially on the uphill parts.
We had to cross a river that had doubled from the time we crossed it on the way up. Man it was a long walk, we were cold and dirty. Then a miracle happened. A pickup ute drove past us and stopped!!!!!! Wooohooo they offered to take us all the way down into town. That was the best feeling and saved us another 5-6kms or so....as it turned out they were 2 rich Bolivians and of course a German traveller in tow. It was a fantastic feeling to be rescued and we ended up having dinner with them and learning a bit more about their country. What an episode! Good to know that there are still great people in Bolivia!

After Samaipata we travelled on to Sucre at about 2600m altitude. It only took 11 hours on the bus to get there. Sucre is known for it´s rich colonial heritage. So this was now our first real city and we liked it straight away. It was a lot less dirty and we came across the local market that was only 2 minutes from our guest house. It´s amazing being able to get freshly squeezed juices, local cuisine and lots and lots of things to buy. We spent about 4 days here and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next stop from Sucre onwards was the highest city in the world (yep everything is the highest here), a city called Potosi at 4100m elevation. Potosi was once the wealthiest city in South America due to the discovery of ore/silver deposits in the mountain. Today thousands still work in the mine and Ryan and I were up for a mine tour adventure. But firstly we experienced the real effects of high altitude. It is funny when you walk slightly uphill for 2 minutes and you are absolutely out of breath. Regardless we booked ourselves into a 3 hour mine tour. I tell you it wasn’t a pleasant tour however it was an experience. We went almost 600m into the mountain and 3 floors underground. As soon as we entered the mountain
On the way to SucreOn the way to SucreOn the way to Sucre

Auf dem Weg nach Sucre
dust replaced oxygen and breathing felt harder and harder. Also the further we climbed down the hotter it got. We spent about 1 hour underground. It is hard to imagine that miners spend 8-10 hours underground every day for several years. Some apparently up to 30 years. Many if not all of them suffer eventually from silicosis pneumonia and a lot of them die after 10 years of work in the mines. Also many of the Bolivians have to start working in the mines from 10 or 12 years onwards to earn money for the family. It's really sad. Till this day apparently 800 children still work in the mines. Experiencing this makes you realise how great our working conditions are at home especially when working in an office. Since this tour the smell of dust makes me gag - I hope it goes away eventually.

After 1 day and night in Potosi we were off the Uyuni and the famous salt flat Salar de Uyuni. These are the world´s largest salt flats covering 12,000 sq km at an elevation of 3660m. We hopped on to a 3 day 2 night tour and had an amazing time. Bolivia finally
Market in SucreMarket in SucreMarket in Sucre

Typischer Markt, dieser ist in Sucre
showed off its beautiful landscape. The photos speak for itself. We had been prewarned on how freezing it gets here and to be safe had bought ourselves extra winter jackets (for about $25!). Well on the second night we went up to 4100m and apparently it got down to -20 / -30 degrees. The guides weren’t exactly sure HOW could it was but it was FREEZING!!! Thanks to a good sleeping bag and lots of wine we survived the night.

So it´s now been 3 weeks and we have landed in the capital of Bolivia- La Paz. You will soon here more of our adventures here as we just got back from the Amazon Jungle.

I hope you are all well and save at home. Be in touch.
Lots of love
Chris xxx

PS Zuji guys feel free to circle around as I haven't had a chance to add everyone as yet.


Touch Down in Bolivien



Buenas Dias alle miteinander. Unsere grosse Reise hat nun endlich begonnen, nachdem wir fast drei Wochen in der Heimat verbracht haben. Unsere erste Etappe hat uns nach Bolivien gebracht. Bolivien ist das ärmste Land in Latein Amerika und
Fruit JuicesFruit JuicesFruit Juices

Saftladen mit FRISCHEN Früchten
deswegen sind die Preise hier sehr niedrig und unser Erspartes reicht viel länger. Bolivien hat eine Grösse vergleichbar mit Frankreich und Spanien zusammengefügt und ist berühmt für die 'weltgrössten und welthöchsten' Dinge. Jetzt sind wir schon 3 Wochen hier und ich wollte euch erst einmal davon berichten, was hier alles anders ist, damit ihr euch vorstellen könnt wie es hier so ist.

Toiletten
Das erste, das man hier lernt, ist dass es Kläranlagen so gut wie nicht gibt. Deshalb darf man absolut gar nichts in den Toiletten herunterspülen, kein Klopapier, keine Bürstenhaare usw. Also seit 3 Wochen muss ich immer schön das Klopapier in einen Mülleimer (der meistens offen ist) neben dem Klo schmeissen. Na Prost Mahlzeit. Dauerte schon ne Zeit sich dran zu gewöhnen und es nicht zu vergessen. Der Mensch ist ja ein Gewohnheitstier! Die zweite Lektion ist, dass man immer Klopapier mit sich führen muss, denn man kann ja nicht davon ausgehen, dass Restaurants oder Cafes dieses da haben…..Mittlerweile bin ich gut gewappnet - in der Jeans, in der Jacke und in der Tasche habe ich jetzt Vorratsrationen.

Strassenverkäufer
Man kann natürlich merken, dass es eine riesige Kluft zwischen Armut und Reichtum gibt. Natürlich sind die Mehrzahl der Menschen alle sehr arm. Darüber hinaus scheint es so, als ob es hier keine Sozialleistungen vom Staat gibt. Deswegen sieht man alle Bolivianer arbeiten, arbeiten und arbeiten. Egal zu welcher Uhrzeit oder welches Alter. Von 10 Jahren bis 80 Jahren sind alle emsig dabei. An jeder Strassenecke kann man etwas kaufen. Alles was das Herz begehrt. Am liebsten gefallen uns die Saftstände. Meistens voll mit Orangen, die dann vor den Augen gepellt und dann frisch gepresst werden. Die Märkte, die es hier gibt sind auch wahnsinning. Es gibt nicht nur Unmengen an frischem Lebensmitteln, aber auch Klamotten, Haushaltsgeräte usw. Offensichtlich gibt es hier keine Gesundheitsvorschriften, denn Fleisch oder Milchprodukte werden nicht unbedingt gekühlt gelagert oder abgedeckt. Nichtsdestotrotz sind wir eher begeistert vom Essen hier und essen auch des Öfteren in den Märkten, wo die Einheimischen essen. Natürlich sind wir schon vorsichtig beim Wasser trinken. Leider kann man das aus der Leitung nicht trinken…

Die Straßenverkäufer haben eine große Freude daran, alle ihre Dinge als Pyramiden aufzustapeln. Ich denke mal, die Produkte sehen dadurch ästhetischer aus. Egal ob Äpfel, Tomaten oder Chips Packungen. Total lustig.

Verkehr
Der Verkehr ist natürlich auch ganz anders hier. Als wir
View over SucreView over SucreView over Sucre

Blick auf die Stadt Sucre
zuerst ankamen, haben wir uns gewundert, warum alle Autos die ganze Zeit hupen. Mittlerweile wissen wir, dass es hier keine Vorfahrtsregeln gibt (ausser Ampeln natürlich). Dass heisst, wenn ein Auto an eine Kreuzung gefahren kommt, dann hupt es einfach, um die anderen Fahrzeuge wissen zu lassen, dass es jetzt durchfährt. Komischerweise funktioniert dieses System und wir haben noch keine Unfälle gesehen.

Busse
Das bringt mich auf das Thema Busreisen. Am besten kommt man hier natürlich mit Bussen von A nach B. Es gibt viele verschiedene Ausstattungen von Bussen: von den alten und zerbrechlichen zu den supermodernen Bussen. Komischerweise hat noch keine Busfirma daran gedacht, Toiletten im Bus einzubauen. Jedenfalls sind wir auf noch keine gestossen. Dadurch, dass wir durchs Gebirge fahren, dauert es natürlich viel länger, um von einem Ort an den anderen zu kommen. Es ist ganz normal so 10-12 Stunden im Bus zu sitzen. Leider halten die Busse nur einmal kurz an. Die Bolivianer sind zwar klein, aber müssen riesige Blasen haben. Uns fällt es jedenfalls nicht so einfach mit nur einem Stop…

Hunde
Ansonsten fällt mir noch auf, dass es sehr, sehr viele sträunernde Hunde hier gibt. Es ist nicht unnormal so 8-12 Hunde auf
Waiting on the sunsetWaiting on the sunsetWaiting on the sunset

Wir warten auf den Sonnenuntergang über der Stadt
einmal zu sehen. Witzigerweise laufen die Hunde nicht auf die Strasse und in den Verkehr hinein. Es versteht sich von selbst, dass die Autos natürlich immer wild am hupen sind, dass hilft wahrscheinlich auch.

Im Grossen und Ganzen ist Bolivien ein sehr interessantes und abwechslungsreiches Land. Mir gefällt die schöne Landschaft und die bunte Trachtmode der Einheimischen. Leider sind die meisten Städte und Dörfer sehr schmutzig, sobald man an den Ortsrand kommt. Es sieht so aus, als ob alle ihren Müll einfach am Ausgang der Städte abstellen. So sieht man halt überall Plastiktüten und Flaschen herumliegen, was natürlich nicht so schön aussieht.

So, ich hoffe, dass hat euch einen ersten Eindruck geschafft. Wie gesagt, wir sind jetzt schon seit 3 Wochen hier und haben schon so einige Orte besucht. Wir sind zuerst nach Santa Cruz über Madrid geflogen. Hier haben wir aber nur eine Nacht übernachtet. Von hier aus sind wir dann mit dem Taxi 3! Stunden nach Samaipata gefahren. Ein kleines Dorf in den Bergen auf 1500m. Ja man kann hier leicht mit dem Taxi längere Distanzen hinweglegen und es kostet nicht viel (2 Euro). Wir haben hier 3 Tage verbracht und uns erstmal an die Höhe gewöhnt.

Während unseres Aufenthalts in Samaipata haben wir eine vor-Inka Zeiten historische Stadt besucht (oder was davon übriggeblieben ist). Was für ein Abenteuer. Uns wurde empfohlen ein Taxi zu nehmen, um die 10km berghoch zu passieren. Die Strassen hier sind natürlich nicht geteert oder gepflastert. Bevor wir nach Samaipata gekommen sind, hatte es mehrere Tage geregnet, deswegen waren die Strassen schon sehr matschig. Gerade als wir los wollten, fing es wieder an zu regnen. Unser Taxi ist aber trotzdem den Berg hochgefahren. Leider war es soooo matschig, dass das Auto irgendwann nicht mehr weiter kam und wir sind nur noch gerutscht. Da hat der Fahrer dann gesagt, er kann uns nicht ganz hochfahren. Naja so sind wir dann die letzten 2km zu Fuss gelaufen - im strömenden Regen. Herrlich! Oben angekommen, wollte ich am liebsten gleich wieder runter, aber Ryan meinte, jetzt sind wir schon hier, lass uns doch die Besichtigung machen. Das haben wir dann auch gemacht und wir hatten sogar Glück mit dem Regen. Er hörte fast auf. Als wir wieder an den Eingang kamen, wollten wir eigentlich ein Taxi runternehmen, aber leider waren alle weg! Der Regen hörte nicht auf, also mussten wir uns irgendwann auf den 10km Marsch bergrunter begeben. Natürlich fing es nach 400m total an zu giessen, so dass ich bis auf die Glieder nass war. Was für ein Gefühl!
Wir sind immer weiter gegangen, denn zurück hätte uns ja auch nichts gebracht. Nach ca. 3 km mussten wir einen Fluss überquehren, der seit unserer Hintour fast doppelt so breit war. Egal - Füsse waren ja eh schon nass. Dann ging es erstmal wieder bergauf und bei 1500m Höhe und nassen Klamotten ist das einfach mal viel anstrengender. Aber Zähne zu und durchbeissen. Dann auf einmal aus dem nichts kam ein Jeep mit Ladefläche vom Berg heruntergefahren…..und hält an! Wer öffnet das Fenster: 2 Bolivianer und ein Deutscher! Herrlich. Ob sie uns mitnehmen können, haben sie gefragt! Ha was für ein Glück. Wir sind hinten auf die Ladefläche gekrabbelt und ab nach unten gefahren. Man wir hatten noch 5km oder mehr vor uns. Zum Dank wollten wir unsere Retter auf ein Bier einladen, aber stattdessen, sind wir dann Essen gegangen (nachdem wir uns abgetrocknet hatten). So haben wir dann noch richtig viel von den Bolivianern gelernt. Einfach Klasse.

Nach unserer Regenepisode sind wir dann an unser nächstes Ziel gefahren - Sucre. Und seitdem haben wir nur Sonnenschein und blauen Himmel gehabt. Sucre befindet sich auf 2600m. Wir haben nur 11 Stunden gebraucht, um nach Sucre zu kommen. Die Stadt ist als Weltkulturerbe bei der UNESCO eingeschrieben und ist bekannt für seine Kolonialstil Gebäude. Es hat uns hier sehr gefallen. Sucre ist etwas westlicher und gar nicht schmutzig. Gleich an unserem ersten Tag haben wir den grossen Markt entdeckt und uns erstmal mit leckeren Früchten und frischen Säften unser Frühstück besorgt.

Nach 4 schönen Tagen ging es dann weiter nach Potosi, die höchste Stadt der Welt mit 4100m. Potosi war einst eine der reichsten Städte in Südamerika, durch die Entdeckung einer Silbermiene im dortigen Berg. Heute gibt es immer noch tausende von Arbeitern in den Mienen und deswegen wollten Ryan und ich eine Führung des Bergbaus machen. Aber zuersteinmal haben wir den Effekt der Höhe gespürt. Es ist schon ein komisches Gefühl, wenn man 2 Minuten leicht bergaufwärts geht und sich so fühlt, als sei man gerade einen 100m Sprint gelaufen. Man ist total ausser Atem. Aber egal, wir sind ja fit, deswegen haben wir uns dann auch gleich in eine Führung eingebucht. Was für ein Erlebnis. Es war sicherlich keine angenehme
Getting ready for the Mines in PotosiGetting ready for the Mines in PotosiGetting ready for the Mines in Potosi

Auf den Weg in den Bergbau in Potosi
Tour, aber eher ein einschneidendes Erlebnis. Wir sind so ca. 800m in den Berg hineingewandert, durch verschiedene Schächte. Dann sind wir noch 3 Etagen nach unten gekletter. Je weiter man in den Berg kam, desto mehr Staub und umso weniger Sauerstoff gab es. Je weiter wir nach unten kamen, desto heisser wurde es. Wir haben insgesamt 1 Stunden unter der Erde verbracht. Nach der Tour sind wir alle hustend wieder aus dem Berg hervorgekommen. Es ist unglaublich, sich vorzustellen, dass die Bergarbeiter hier 8-10 Stunden pro Tag arbeiten und das jahrelang.

Leider erkranken die meisten Arbeiter nach 10 Jahren in den Atemwegen und viele sterben auch daran. Noch viel trauriger ist es, dass viele Kinder hier arbeiten - angeblich bis zu 800 Kinder, die der Familie helfen müssen, Geld zu verdienen. Viele fangen daher schon an, wenn sie 10 oder 12 Jahre alt sind. Seitdem wir die Tour gemacht haben, muss ich immer noch würgen, wenn ich ganz viel Staub um mich rum habe. Das werde ich sicherlich nicht so schnell vergessen.

Nach 1 Tag Potosi ging es dann nach Uyuni, um den weltberühmten Salzsee Salar de Uyuni zu besuchen. Dieser hat eine grösse von 12.000 Quadratkilometern und
On the way to the minesOn the way to the minesOn the way to the mines

da sollen wir gleich rein
liegt bei einer Höhe von 3660m. Ja mittlerweile geht es schon besser mit der Höhe. Wir haben uns einer 3 Tage Tour angeschlossen und hatten eine tolle Zeit. Jetzt haben wir endlich die wunderschöne Landschaft von Bolivien entdeckt. Die Fotos sprechen für sich. In Sucre worden wir gewarnt, dass es hier nachts sehr kalt werden kann. Und um sicher zu gehen, haben wir uns noch richtig dicke Winterjacken zugelegt (für ganze 12 Euro). In der zweiten Nacht haben wir auch 4100m übernachtet und angeblich war es so zwischen -20 und - 30 Grad kalt. Unser Tourguide war sich da nicht so sicher, aber ich kann euch sagen, es war sooooo KALT. Dank unseres Schlafsacks und Rotwein haben wir die Nacht aber doch gut und warm überstanden.

So 3 Wochen sind nun rum und wir sind jetzt in La Paz angekommen, die Hauptstadt von Bolivien (3600m). Es gibt schon viel zu berichten, aber das verschiebe ich aufs nächste Mal. Ich hoffe, es hat euch gefallen.
Alles liebe von mir! Hoffe, es geht euch allen gut.
Liebe Grüsse
Christina



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 37


Advertisement

I'm ready!I'm ready!
I'm ready!

Los geht's!
This is what you can see in the mineThis is what you can see in the mine
This is what you can see in the mine

Ganz schön staubig hier!


30th August 2009

Regen
Moin Chris, Gruss aus Iceland: Hier hat es tagelang auch geregnet - Deine Bilder erinnern mich... Hab grad Halbzeit, Island is´n geiles Land, wenn deren Sommer nur nicht so nach schmuddeligem Tarper Novemberwetter aussehen würde!!! ;-) Ciao, liebe Grüße von Gela & André
31st August 2009

LOVE THE UPDATE!
Hello... Gorgeous German traveller from Down Under!!!... Love both your and Cliffs travel update.. how funny that though your both writing about the same places your experiences and memories are from different persepectives! I Love IT! Were great .. Im 14 weeks now!.... (supposed to be passed the nausea and sickness stage).. so I completely empathises with your gagging in the mines!.... Keep us updated we love iT! Love Karolina and Gooma ! xxoxo
13th September 2009

WOW
Sooooooooo great to see your blogg- it is just like talking to you direct- you paint a perfect picture honey well done! I am amazed by what you have seen and your photo;s are just great! I love all your funny bits about the sex he he...ew ew...so funny but so true, it must be so freaky to see....can u imagine how many toots i would get...my driving, the tooting...jeez i'd be booted off the road for sure!!! I love your photo of your sunset, what a great time of the day eh??? Keep us in the loop honey- great to hear your voice, even thru blogging...we miss your faces... thanks for sending love ya kez x

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 19; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb