Into Bolivia and the Salt flats


Advertisement
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Train GraveyardTrain GraveyardTrain Graveyard

1st stop on the tour from Uyuni was the train graveyard where all the redundant steam engines. The train line was previously used as a major artery to feed and extract from Potosi.
We left Salta after bidding a tearful farewell top Mieke and headed off on a journey to La Quica (on the Argentina-Bolivia border) by bus, the small matter of a walk over the border to Villazon and then the train up to Uyuini to arrive at about midnight.

Despite this we still managed to rise early to go on a 3 day tour of the Salar de Uyuni. This tour encompasses many things namely: -

Visiting the Salar de Uyuni the worlds largest and highest salt lake at 12,000sq km and 3,650m respectively. Driving across is strange and rather bizarre with the blue sky contrasting with the blinding white salt crust (its also really rather interesting how this is formed).

There is an ´island´ in the middle which has many Cacti on it one of it is over 1200 years old. The popular thing to do here is to take photos as the salt planes play with perspective.

We stayed overnight in a hotel completely made of salt (more or less). The following day were up and on to see more things like rock formations and lakes (lagoas). To be honest days 2 and 3 kind of merge into one with similar pink flamingoed lagoas, rock formations and stunning scenery.

One of the most memorable experiences of the trip however will be the 12 times we broke down and our driver/cook trying all sorts to get the Landcruiser up and running again. Day 2 involved a lack of water due to the bottom hose coming off and there being no water in the radiator. We then used our supply of water to refill the radiator leaving us high and dry!!

Our driver tried all sorts to get us up and running including cleaning the spark plugs and we think he checked the indicators - this does not however help the overheating.

Day 3 and our Landcruiser was developing more cronic problems. The car problems culminated when in the middle of nowhere (with no water) we broke down, as standard between the tour companies many other tour parties stopped to help us. After 1.5 hours we managed to get going and despite our protests the other cars promptly left us. We drove about 20 metres before the car packed in again and we were now truely stranded. Upon realising that the car had again broken
Salt houseSalt houseSalt house

House made of salt on the perimeter of the Salt flats
down our driver then proceeded to leg it after the departing tour parties. Murray and I managed to botch some re-wireing (you would have been impressed Rab) to get us up and running. We collected our driver and headed off at 20k for about an hour until we rejoined our tour party - a great laugh.

Anyway we eventualy got back to Uyuni got a slight refund and left promptly for Potosi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A few of us on salt pilesA few of us on salt piles
A few of us on salt piles

Salt piles are scrapped from the ground and piled before being transported elsewhere
Isla de PescadoresIsla de Pescadores
Isla de Pescadores

Island in the middle of the Salt flats
Lack of timingLack of timing
Lack of timing

So we tried to get one of us all in the air but failed miserably - have about another 5 photos of similar rubbishness!
FlamingosFlamingos
Flamingos

Noel - do you like these


23rd November 2006

Wonderful photos!
Jenny and I absolutely love all of your photos but especially the ones from the salt flats. Jenny very keen to seen photos of you both this morning. Lots of love xx
23rd November 2006

WOW
salt flats and piles look fantastic - list just got bigger!!
27th November 2006

I only logged on to see what a blog was!
Thought I would bring myself into the 20th century and find out what a Blog was. I still don't know, but I now know all about the trip we never had. You started where we left and we are now very jealous. Its great to see your piccies. It is also good to see that you have some friends sending messages. We were worried about you on that front!!! Mind you, I notice alot of them are family or people that you have apparantly met while you are away. Dubious. Love to you both.
3rd December 2006

Did you lick the wall? You did, didn't you!
4th December 2006

Wow
Love the comedy photos....takes me back to Bamburgh castle antics! Very impressive scenary. Really want to go there now. Love Emma xox

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb