On to the Salt Flats


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
December 3rd 2016
Published: December 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We are only spending one day here in Potosi . It is the oldest city in Bolivia founded by the Spanish in order to develop the silver mines. Many of the group are at and in the mine today . Somehow being underground , even wearing pounds of safety equipment did not appeal to me at all . The very idea sets me into a claustrophobic panic. I wish them well .

The rest of us have a free day in the city . After all the charm of Sucre it took a while to see it´s soul . THERE ARE so many CHURCHES , ALL CLOSED AND LOCKED OF SOURSE . IT IS OBVIOUS THEY ARE TO REMAIN PLACES OF PRAYER NOT PLACES TO VISIT . I AM SADDENED BY THAT FOR I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THE CHURCHES ON MY TRAVELS TO BE PLACES I COULD JUST STOP AND REST FOR A BIT . I would usually see local people there as well as some of the most amazing art , especially in the Spanish Churches in Mexico . These buildings are not well used . Most seem to be open for only 2 masses a week. Pilar says that although most people are Catholic they rarely marry in the church for it costs way to much ...sad.

This afternoon we are on our way , a 5 hour bus ride , to the Salt Flats which I am looking forward to . We will be staying in mountain Refuges and travelling about in 4x4s for three days . I do not think there will be any wifi or internet in that . area.

That´s all fo rnow . Hope all is well with you and yours.

Advertisement



3rd December 2016

TO BAD ABOUT THE CHURCHES THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTING TO ME IN MY TRAVELS. OH WELL. AND MINES OR CAVES OR ANY UNDERGROUND TOURS FACINATE ME, EACH TO HIS OR HER OWN. ENJOY ANYWAY, THIS TOUR WILL BE OVER BEFORE YOU KNOW IT. ALL IS WELL ROGER
4th December 2016

No churches. No mines. No Wi Fi
You are having many and varied experiences. The salt flats and 4x4 travel sound adventuresome. Is it hot? We have seen very little sun this week and I have felt cold even in the house. December 3 and 3 weeks left before Christmas. Trust the next phase of your trip goes well. Take care. Mo
5th December 2016

Bolivia
I think I can relate to being underground, however we have done the Carlsbad Caverns and were not to claustrophobic. Did you see lots of silver jewelry for sale since it is mined there. Is mining the number one employer for these people? To bad about closed churches, do you think they worry about vandalism? Why is it so expensive to get married in the churches? Quite likely you have already made your 5 hours journey to the salt flats, take lots of pictures.
7th December 2016

YES AND YES...THE sALT FLATS TRIP WAS ACTUALLY 3 DAYS dORINA. vERY INTERESTING

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb