FACES OF BOLIVIA...Nationalism


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF BOLIVIA...Nationalism. As we leave Bolivia's back door to enter the Atacama Desert in Northern Chile I can hear my heart pounding with anticipation. 'Cause this is why we tacked Peru & Bolivia onto our North American & Caribbean Blues Cruise itinerary. We have always wanted to visit the World's driest region, the Atacama Desert...even before we were seduced by the wonders of 4WDing thr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Mummy in backyardMummy in backyard
Mummy in backyard

Volcan Thunupa



1st July 2016

This is the first blog of yours that sounds like a legal brief...
and that you are itching to take the case. I agree with you that Bolivia has been wronged...a case where might makes right...with Chile being the mighty power which can impose its will on its neighbors.
2nd July 2016

This is the first blog of yours that sounds like a legal brief...
Coming from a country rich in resources I feel strongly that we should not sell our national heritage to foreign interests for a quick buck. In Oz our pastoral lands should remain ours...not become their's. In Argentina we saw vaste estancias bought by French and USA multinationals for water rights. How inspiring to see a country such as Bolivia that many regard as vulnerable because it is poor...stand up and say "Enough...this is our country...we should control our destiny." Give me the brief Bob...yep...I'll support the good fight!
1st July 2016

Bolivia Rises!
Thank you presenting this excellent article, Dave. I always have a soft corner for Bolivia. By far, perhaps it is the most impoverished country in the region. It is debatable whether it was the right or wrong approach, there must be a reason why Che Guevara took his war to the Bolivian jungle. And hats off to Eva Morales, thus protecting the interest of the indigenous people instead of some of the multinationals. I thought he lost the last election, but obviously I was wrong. I am being honest, I was not aware of the dispute between these four neigbouring countries in so much of detail. Now I am curious to know what was the view of President Salvador Allende before he was assassinated. After all, he was Marxist. And last of all, I never understood the stupid war of Maggie over the Falklands. Good to see Geneth's picture. But I couldn't see any of Valerio's. If you have one, perhaps you could add one here. Again, thank you for the wonderful well researched article, Dave. Good eye opener, at least for me. And a good read on the Canada Day! I don't know exactly where to draw the line between a blog and an article, but in my view, this one is more than a blog!
2nd July 2016

Bolivia Rises!
Thank you for your considered response Tab. In doing my research it was interesting to read that certain Western interests criticised Evo Morales and his policies...even the Saudis!!! Now that sounds like money talking to me! We entered Bolivia expecting poverty and potential banditry but instead found a country that was safe, optimistic and enjoying the fruits of an improving economy. Yet the drop in prices of minerals around the world has had its bite. Evo Morales won his third 5 year term as President in 2015 but took a punt and ran another referendum for him to be able to run for a 4th term in 2020...and narrowly lost! And the Western press crowed in delight. He did not need seek that now, but the drop in prices of minerals may have prompted it. The win in the International Court of Justice in September 2015 was not enough to pull Evo Morales over the line in the referendum. Was it that the populous do not want to wait for Bolivia to develop their own technologies to extract their Lithium pot of gold? What I do know Tab is that Bolivia is Heaven to visit...not just for the stunning vistas that amaze the eye...but also for its fascinating fight for access to the Pacific coast and the power of international money that displays avarice and green-eye.
9th July 2016
Alpaca love

Alpaca Love
Makes you want to take the fella home.
10th July 2016
Alpaca love

Alpaca Love
He hugged me first!!!
9th July 2016

Relationships and boarders
This is one of your more thought provoking blogs. I enjoyed it and will give all the matters consideration. It is always interesting how we treat our neighbors. Policies and politics are complex. Those 7 deadly sins always come into play.
10th July 2016

Relationships and borders
The issues in this blog are not the fluff and bubble or walks on the wild side that often grace the blogs we enjoy on Travelblog. When we enter the country of another we not only try to feel the vibe but also what simmers under the surface. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment MJ.
9th July 2016
Shaman

Wisdom
You always capture the essence of their soul.
10th July 2016
Shaman

Wisdom
Our conversation was more body language than words but we understood each other. "Why are you collecting sticks?" I asked him. To light a fire he indicated like smoke rising, arms raised in adoration and then said "To Pachamama." So I asked if I could take his photo and his wisdom of ages entered my lens.
9th July 2016
Alpaca love

Hard to resist
Thanks for the story. It was an interesting read. This photo is really hard to resist. I too want to hug an alpaca /Ake
10th July 2016
Alpaca love

Hard to resist
Bolivia is a fascinating potpourri of incredible beauty with a populous affected by religious zeal, an economic divide from poverty to potential of wealth, an indigenous majority and politics of a landlocked country fighting to burst free. Thanks for reading and commenting Ake. This is a thinking man or woman's blog. May the alpaca in you get that hug one day!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb