Peace in the mountains


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Sorata
December 15th 2008
Published: December 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

La PazLa PazLa Paz

Valley de la Luna (Valley of the moon)
So we headed back to La Paz, the city we had stayed at a month earlier to find little had changed, but this time we were with our friends who had never visited before so decided to do some other attractions just outside the city. After a few days wandering around the endless markets, we firstly ventured out to Valle de Luna (The Valley of the Moon), which is a bizarre area just outside the city that unsurprisingly looks like the moon. We wandered around the small area surrounded by the mountains looking at the incredible rock formations, which were both amazing and bizarre at the same time (they seemed to resemble very large termite mounds).

The other reason we visited the area was to go quad biking, much to the dismay of both Daisy and Jemma. After haggling over the price we were quickly kitted out and ready to drive down into the Valley of the Flowers. The drive was amazing and so much fun, as they had given us the largest engine of quad as the two of us would be sharing the same quad. The valley was beautiful and we even had the chance to drive down a (mostly) dry river.

From La Paz we also decided to venture to a nearby town called Sorata, which is placed up in the lush hills close to many snow capped mountains. The drive to Sorata was very uncomfortable but the views were stunning, so in Sorata we took it very easy and relaxed in our lodge doing very little (apart from drinking tea and playing cards - partly due to the bad weather), but we did venture out to walk to some amazing lookout points over the valleys and the mountains. It was a very quiet and peaceful place that I imagine many would love, but others would find very boring as there is little to do apart from the odd trek (and the weather was terrible at the time!).

After a few days in Sorata we headed back to La Paz for a third time where we would spend another few days in the city (and even saw the new James Bond film in english!!).

From Uyuni we finally said goodbye to Andy and Jemma, and after spending a month with them it was strange going back to doing things alone, but also nice to head down south on the road to Santiago.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Quad BikingQuad Biking
Quad Biking

Getting ready for the biking
Quad bikingQuad biking
Quad biking

Riding through a stream and getting soaked!!
SorataSorata
Sorata

Daisy at the hostel we stayed at
Breakfast in SorataBreakfast in Sorata
Breakfast in Sorata

With Andy and Jemma. We got kicked out of the restaurant because we didnt buy breakfast from them!
Typical bolivian travel in SorataTypical bolivian travel in Sorata
Typical bolivian travel in Sorata

Pile as much as you can on the top!
SorataSorata
Sorata

Views from the top of the valley
The little scorpianThe little scorpian
The little scorpian

We found this in our room!!!! arghhhhh!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb