How to Pass a Llama on a Trail


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The view from our cabin on Isla del Sol was superb! The mighty Lake Titicaca (titi and caca in the same word – hee hee!), the snow-capped peaks of the Cordillera and incredible skies surrounded us. The surface of the lake is over 3800 metres above sea level and our cabin was a very challenging hike up another hill. Dave’s GPS showed our cabin just shy of 4000 metres! We spent most of our four ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The world's highest forestThe world's highest forest
The world's highest forest

The queñoa trees. If you get lost, just stand up.
Queñoa TreesQueñoa Trees
Queñoa Trees

In Sajama National Park
LlamaLlama
Llama

Graze a little, stare at the gringo a little, then move on... look, more grass over there!
Volcan SajamaVolcan Sajama
Volcan Sajama

Bolivia's highest peak at 6542 metres.
Enjoying the cool stream.Enjoying the cool stream.
Enjoying the cool stream.

Volcano in background. And of course, llamas.
Volcan GuallatireVolcan Guallatire
Volcan Guallatire

The smoking giant looming over Parque Nacional Sajama
Sajama SunsetSajama Sunset
Sajama Sunset

Fire in the sky



11th May 2015

Shower time.
I have laughed out loud to myself imagining this shower carry on. So funny. The rhinos must have managed.
11th May 2015

Beautiful
Thanks for your story and wonderful pictures of this very remote area. Gorgeous and fascinating.
11th May 2015
The Llama Incident

Don't pass a cow on a trail.
Wise Teresa letting the llama pass while I was kicked down a cliff by a cow. A couple of months ago, I was on my daily walk in the mountains behind Arequipa when I tried to pass cows grazing on a narrow, 2/3 meter trail (steep sides and no place to jump off to let them pass as I usually do). The cow didn't want to share the trail and kicked me down the cliff. I lost consciousness for 1/2 hour, lost my new glasses, stumbled a couple of hours back to town and ended up with massive casts on both arms, and I'm still in a sling. So glad your llama passed you without incident! I'll not try passing a cow again.
12th May 2015
The Llama Incident

Dangerous wildlife
Wow! That's quite the story about the cow Tara! Glad you're OK! We had a friend who hiked the Colca Canyon a couple of years ago and he got squashed between a donkey and a cactus on the trail. He ended up with only a few scratches and a funny story! Next time you should just MOOve out the way!
11th May 2015
Titicaca

Wise adventurers!
How fabulous that you spent several days exploring my beloved huff and puff Isla del Sol and its many trails, treasures and tranquility! And what a way to get to Chile--certainly the road less traveled. On my next exit from Bolivia to Chile, I had been planning to go through Park Lauca, but this stop off in Sajama Park sounds fabulous--I may follow your footsteps, intrepid explorers. However, I must admit I chuckled hearing you polar explorers talk of the (very real) cold in Bolivia. Enjoy your return to the land of polar bears, Churchill, Canada.
19th May 2015
Titicaca

The very real cold in Bolivia...
Hi Tara! Hee hee. Yes, indeed! We are so used to having our specialized warm clothes and heated houses in Canada, that when confronted with the same temps in Bolivia, without our special clothes and heated housing, the challenge becomes apparent! We love hearing from you as always! Theresa :)
11th May 2015

How to pass a Llama on a trail
Thanks for the laugh guys, and as always a pleasure to read about your adventures. Thanks for letting us all know where you are, how you are doing and that you are still ticking and tickling our funny bones. Miss yous lots, keep on trecking, love Pammie :)
16th May 2015

Llama on a Trail
I can't imagine how cold your cabin was at night. It is always good to keep a close eye and a bit of distance on those llamas. As you say they have their own agenda. Your hiking and the thermal pool sounds great.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb