Weekend with Jen: Unplugged!


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone,

I'm back from Lago Titicaca and getting ready to go on my next trip on Wednesday. It took about 10 hours to get to the main port of the lake because I took a tourist bus and we stopped at several sites along the way. In Puno, the main port, I didn't have the greatest of experiences, but the lake was incredible. Early Saturday morning we started out on a boat and headed to the Uros Floating Islands. The Uros indians live on floating "islands" made by hand from totora reeds. As we walked along our little island (there are about 45 total) it would rock back and forth and you could actually feel the movement! After a while we got back on the boat and headed to Amantani Island, about 4 1/2 hours from the main port. I got acquainted with two girls (one from Australia and another from England) and when we arrived on the next island we met our "island" family. A girl, 20 yrs old, picked us up and took us to their home. (By the way, this was a major hike uphill and Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world..i.e....very difficult!). It was truly amazing to see how they lived--no electricity, one room, and very primitive. We ate in a little "kitchen" with no lights (only one candle) and the furnace, oven, fire (whatever it was) smoked up the entire room to the point that everyone's eyes were watering. While we sat at the table the family crowded around the fire eating with their hands and watching us. At 4pm we climbed the mountain to the temple of Pachatata and watched the sunset. It was amazing. In the evening they dressed us up in typical clothes to go to the island dance hall. Of course we were "forced" 😊 to dance typical dances. While we were getting dressed we went into the one room bedroom of the family. It was....really.....different. They all slept in one bed and it was so dark without electricity. There were clothes everywhere and the bed was on the floor. Seeing all of this was an enlightening experience. These people consider themselves descendants of the Sacred Mother and believe that powerful spirits live in the lake's depths. Looking out over the stars made it easier to understand their beliefs.

The next day we visited Taquile Island which also gave amazing views of the lake. There is no way to describe the beauty. The water is a dazzling dark blue. I couldn't take my eyes off of it!

I got home last night at 3 am. Tomorrow I'll visit the Sacred Valley and on Wednesday I have a flight to see the Colca Canyon.

Thanks for all of the messages / emails. I love hearing from you!
Jen


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lake TiticacaLake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca

This was the view from our house!


20th July 2006

Amazing
These pictures are amazing. The experience sounds like so much fun and helps you appreciate the USA!!! Take care. Your friends in hot Texas!!! Bobby and Helen
22nd July 2006

Awesome pics Aunt Jenny Jenz! Wish we were there. We miss you!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb