A whole lot of catching up to do...Lake Titicaca to Cusco...


Advertisement
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok...first off...I have gotten SO behind with this...and for that I apologize! My first excuse is that there were really poopy internet places in Bolivia...and my second excuse is that for some of the last little while we were in the middle of the Inca Trail up to Machu Picchu with no running water, let alone internet access!!! And my third excuse is that .. well, I admit, I guess we've just been having so much fun!!!

I am currently in Cusco, Peru..without Callie and Mike (her boyfriend who came to do the hike to Machu Picchu with us)..and with my parents! So that's quite a change! The whole 2.5 months with Callie was unbelievable...so sad to see her go! The Inca Trail with Callie, Mike and the rest of our group was certainly a cool way to finish up our time together! (I'll miss you hun!!!)

So for a brief and hopefully not entirely uncolourful account of the last...hmm...2 weeks? WE'll start at Lake Titicaca, where we arrived to from La Paz, it is the highest navigable lake in the world at 400000000000 something m above sea level. We visited on both the Bolivian and Peruvian sides. First was the Bolivian side - COPACABAÑA - yup...your own Lola in Copacabaña! It was really cool - we went on a tour of Isla del Sol - The birthplace of the Sun and moon in Inca religion. Also where the first two Inca´s were seen on the Island. There were ruins and a sacrificial altar and shaman and a rock that looks like a puma (Titi = puma, Caca = rock... hence, lake Titicaca. Although, the Bolivians say the Titi is their side and the Caca is the Peruvian side. And interestingly...the Peruvians say the exact opposite!) and and and...yeah, it was a cool tour, but a tough hike across the island back to our boat! Another highlight of Copacabaña was the chocolate fondue we had for dinner two nights in a row. Ohhh yeahhh.......

We took a bus over the border and arrived back in Peru! I can't believe we made the circle of South America already. Time flies! The town on Lake Titicaca on the Peruvian side is called Puno - from there we took another island tour, this time to Uros Islands and Isla Taquile (not Tequilla...) Uros islands are the islands that are made entirely out of reeds. The reeds that grow in the lake are used to make the islands themselves, the houses, the boats, the crafts, EVERYTHING...they even eat the reeds!! It's really quite incredible. They used to rely on fishing but now a lot of thieir economy is based on tourism. There are 29 in total, and if an island has a fight amongst themselves, they just bust out the machete and separate themselves!! (Maybe Quebecers should take note? This ONLY works on reed islands....) So in a few months there might be 32! We took a reed boat from one island to another reed island, ate some reeds, almost got attacked by a crazy turkey chicken rooster hawk thing (animals aren't really on our side these days....) After the floating islands we went to Taquile - where they pretty much live the same way they have been living for decades. Or longer. There are 22 restaurants. All serving one dish. All serving the same dish. All for the same price. Trucha!!! (aka Trout from Lake Titicaca). We walked around this island, ate some trucha, bought a few things, and continued on our way back to Puno.

From Puno we took a tour bus through Peru and to Cusco - where we were to meet Mike. So we took the tour bus as oppose to the direct bus so that we could stop at a few touristy places along the way with a guide. So we did those stops...but really it ended up costing us more money than we anticipated...because we bought a bunch of stuff at each stop (like for example, approximately 10 alpaca scarves....) See the problem with getting things for a good deal is that it doesn't end up being a good deal when you buy 10 of them. Because you spent way more than you intended...ever. But. Alas, isn't this what vacations are all about? Buying too much and telling yourself they are for gifts so it's worth it??

So we got to Cusco. Stayed at a party hostel. Had a good time - didn't do too much for the first time in 2.5 months. We finally made it, and we didn't have to rush anything else!!! Mike arrived safe and sound (and a little tired having slept in the Lima airport) on March 2nd, we registered with our tour company to tell them we were ready to hike on the 5th. And all things were organized. Phew, how good did that feel!!! So there's the catch up...I suppose the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu sort of deserve their own separate entry from this. So...i'll leave it at this for now. And i promise pictures will be coming soon!! Lotsa love to everyone...and i love to hear from you guys, so keep writing 😊



Advertisement



13th March 2007

LAUREN!!!!
hey L-Dawg! i must admit i'm SO behind on your blogs cause i've been SO busy! school it's nutso to say the least! we're currently working on the guest list and invitations... it's a stuggle! stm made it to provincials so vinny's been really busy with that too, the final is on saturday! anyways, i miss you! just wanted to say hi!!! have much more fun!!!! hope to catch up soon! love Steph
15th March 2007

Did you meet Kronk in Cusco
Did you see Cuscotopia? See Kronk or that witchy lady? (love emporers new groove!) anyways, i really look forward to see the photos of the places you always here so much about. Dont forget about Pattys Day this Saturday, hardly expect you'll celebrate like myself, afterall it IS a NATIONAL Holiday here, aka Day off Work! 3 day weekend, 3 day bender. Woohoo. Hope you enjoyed the time with your parental unit, and central american is just as kind to you as the South! Love ya! xo

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb