Choro Trek


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 6th 2006
Published: September 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The start of the trekThe start of the trekThe start of the trek

A long way to go...
The Choro trek is no doubt about descents.
The first day of the trek started with a short one and a half hours climb to the Apacheta pass of the Andes, but from that moment on, it was all about just going down 3000m in altitude in the remaining 2 and a half days of the trek.
From the high pass we had superb views of the mountains around, and for me it was the highlight of the trek...

After the pass, the Inca Trail led us slowly to the Yungas - a subtropical climate zone, on the way passing a few small isolated villages.
There we enjoyed buying fresh fruits from the villagers, and even spoiling ourselves with a coca cola (after all - truth must be told - these villages has become much more touristic today), and also taking a glimpse at the way these people leave today.

I must note here that the Inca trail is at all not as good as it sounds. The only good thing about is that Inca has made it hundreds of years ago, and it still pretty much conserved today. The bad thing is it´s very uncomfortable to walk on,
The start of the trekThe start of the trekThe start of the trek

A long way to go...
especially if caring a heavy mochila, as it's composed of slippery and uneven stones packed together.

In the last day we payed a visit to Tamiji Hanamura, a really interesting person. Tamiji immigrated from Japan after the second world war, making a journey through Asia and South America, finally settling down in the 1960s in Bolivia, in the middle of nowhere - where nowadays the trek passes.
He built there everything by himself - his house, and a small farm, still keeping it running till today, despite his age.
One interesting thing is that Tamiji has a guest book of all the trekkers that has passed by his house since the 1980s.
He told us that it started just as a small notebook, that was sufficient for the first few years, but the number of trekkers has grown rapidly, and now he has to start a new book for each year.
The amazing thing was that he had a map of Israel where all Israelis that came through his house marked their place of living. It's unnecessary for me to say that almost all the map has been marked. I was disappointed to see that I wasn't the first from Haifa, to give him a visit...


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

A CholaA Chola
A Chola

A traditional Ayamara woman
The JapaneseThe Japanese
The Japanese

He has a map of Israel! And he even understands in our geography!
The JapaneseThe Japanese
The Japanese

Our names in Japanese


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb