Bolivia : La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
March 21st 2013
Published: September 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

21/03 to 24/03/13 - La Paz:




The highest Capital in the world ! at 3660 m above sea level and it always goes up !

We did one of the scariest bike ride. We bike through the most dangerous road in the world and we survived ! The landscape is great and the experience is great. We started at Cumbre and went down the main road for 1 hour (Marie was the last one , as she was scared of the speed !). Then started a 2 hour ride on a rocky road between the edge and the mountain, so no escape, if you go too quickly it's either scratching yourself in the mountain or getting over the edge. A lot of people have died on this road, this is no joke! We went through little waterfalls, villages, all that with some rain therefore it was slippery. More adrelaline ! The reward is a good lunch and shower before heading back to La Paz(4h in the car!)



Anecdote: Clive did go over the edge and still doesn't know how he is still alive. My chain was going off every 5 meters. Clive did help me to put it back before the car arrived but after 2 meters my chain went off again and I started to swear. He turned his head but the bike didn't stop as his breaks werent' performant at all and this is it - over the edge. Fotunately for him, it was an area full of vegetation and he could grab a small tree to stop his fall. I didn't see all that as I was busy putting back my chain.

La Paz is otherwise very dusty and not nice but the highlight was the bike ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb