Bolivia - The End


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Amy and I met up again in La Paz, she was dead tired after doing her hike up to Huayna Potosi, but was thrilled to have finished it. It was a very challenging trek, using crampons, ice picks and all sorts of winter gear. I am impressed with her, and after hearing stories from other people about how hard it was, I am proud of my little travel buddy!

We had plans to go to Coroico, but what with the amount of rain, washed out roads and transportation strikes plaguing us this whole trip, we were advised not to go because we may have been delayed coming back to La Paz which would have meant possibly missing a series of about 4 flights to get home. Therefore we decided to go skiing!

The owner of the trekking company that Amy hiked with had asked her if she wanted to ski sometimes. Since we did not end up going to Coroico we took him up on his offer. We had a great day skiing, but since there was no actual ski hill near La Paz anymore (they closed down the one they had because of climate change there is not
Ski stuffSki stuffSki stuff

Hugo dug out his ski stuff from years gone by for us to use.
enough snow anymore) we put skins on our skis and hiked up the mountain and then skied down. The area we skied was at 4,800 m and was absolutely incredible. What a great experience!

It was a short ski day so we were back in La Paz with some time left in the day to do a bit of final shopping since it was our last day in Bolivia. We then bought a few bottles of wine, packed up all our gear (while enjoying said bottles of wine) then went out for some dinner with a few people from our hostel. We then decided that it would be a great idea to really enjoy our last night in Bolivia and so decided to go out to the bar (despite having an early morning flight!). We had a great time and met some great people, made it home alive and after a few hours of sleep managed to get up in time to be at the airport for 6:00 a.m.

We arrived to an absolutely beautiful day in Lima, and had almost an entire day to enjoy the City again. We went straight to Miraflores which is the beach suburb of Central Lima. We did our last bit of shopping, went to the beach, met up with some people for dinner that we had met earlier on the trip, and then we headed back to the airport for our flight back to Canada!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Amy is completely invisibleAmy is completely invisible
Amy is completely invisible

It was an interesting walk back from the bar...


25th February 2011

Boo-hoo - the end
Jodie and Amy: This is a bitter sweet ending. Sad that we can't look forward to receiving another of your fabulous blogs next week. Sweet that you experienced life to the fullest on your travels and will be home re-uniting with family and friends in less than 24 hours. Maybe you can wean us off the blogs by sending a few from Coquitlam City hall next week. JK Love Padre and Madre

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb