Illimani


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
July 10th 2010
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

"The Iconic Mountain"



After our first 6000 meter we felt for an even higher mountain. Illimani is probably one of the most famous mountains in Bolivia ruling in the background of La Paz. At 6438 meters its also the highest mountain in Cordillera Real.

This time we decided to do the easiest route to the summit, avoiding any technical climbing. Three days was chosen for the summit attempt and we drove from La Paz on thursday. The walk from Pinaya to base camp is only two and a half hour. The landscape and surroundings at Illimani is more lush and green than the other mountains we have done so far. The drive over to Pinaya was also more "exotic" than cruising the paved road at Altiplano.

On friday we did a five hour trek up to camp Nido de Condores at about 5400 meters. This was the most exposed camp we have been to these weeks and the view was great.

Eirin decided to only do the trip to Nido de Condores, so we teamed up as two and three. We started off two of clock in the morning with Oeyvind and I in the same rope. Unfortunately Oyevind didn´t feel well an had to turn back down after half an hour. Bjoern joined me in the rope and Hilde and Torbjoern continued in the other.
We kept a good pace up the hill and summited at 7 after an almost never ending last ridge. Both Bjoern and I felt really good except for short breathing up the last part. After enjoying the view taking some pictures and had some snacks, we decided to get back down when it was really freezing at the top. We literaly run back down, and hit Nido de Condores one hour later.

The hike back to Pinaya took some hours, but in warmer climate and with beautiful settings, and we arrived in good time before the jeep should pick us up.

Pretty nice to finish up the mountain we have seen in the background of La Paz for so long. It´s kind of the mountain you "have to do" since it´s so iconic at all the postcards from the city : )

We probably have time for one more mountain, but it´s still not decided...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



20th July 2010

Reise...
Hei:)ser ut som det står bra til:)ute å reiser igjen?:)Kos deg videre:)god sommer.klemmer fra Hedalen

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb