Cusco to Le Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

First half of GAP trip, Quito to Le Paz


What another amazing but different week!


Have added a a map above to show how far we have travelled halfway through this GAP Adventure, over 2000 miles but as the crow flies not the roads!


Last blog we were chilling in Cusco for three days after the Inca trail, weather was grey so bit boring! managed to get a dodgy haircut lol and bought a windproof jacket knowing that some of the next parts of the trip would be cold at night due to altitude and getting souther.


We set off from Cusco towards lake Titicaca, minus Shirley and Barbara the canadian ladies, both leaving early due to Barbs altitude sickness, I am now the oldest one of the gang.


We had another 8 hour drive with a lunch stop and obviously more movies!


We arrived at Puno, on the shore of Lake Titicaca early evening, checked into the hotel then went shopping at the local market to buy fruit and veggies for gifts for our next adventure, a homestay with a community on the shores of Lake Titicaca.


The view of the lake was breathtaking in the morning and some facts for you! The lake is the largest lake in the world over 2000m, at an altitude of 3809m asl (above sea level).


At its deepest point it is 274m deep, 8560 sq km in area, 165km at longest point and 60km at its widest. wow!


Before our homestay we had a trip to some nearbye islands, we left the hotel and were transported by bike taxi things to the boat dock about 15 mins away.


We had a 30 min boat ride to the islands called the Uros floating islands. The islands are constructed using Totora reeds cut and laid on top of large blocks of their roots tied together, amazing!


Supposedly this was done years ago to hide from the conquering Incas and they have stayed there ever since and the number of islands has grown but now numbers are declining and they have turned to tourism to help fund their existence.


We were shown how they construct and maintain their islands, got to look in their houses (they had a solar panel each given by government!) and see their crafts etc


Also had an opportunity to ride on a boat made out of reeds, some of us stayed on the island and chilled up in their look out tower made out of reeds!


Was a bit touristy with lots of different boats visiting different islands but obviously interesting to see!


Then back on the boat for a two hour journey to our homestay community, a peninsular on the lake called Chucuito.


We landed at the shore and were met by some of the community and walked to the school where we were allocated (in our roomie pairs) to our "new parents and family!".


Matt and I were staying with Pedro, his wife Matilda and their 3 daughters, trust our luck their house was almost right at the top of the hill so we were both out of breath by time we got there even after a rest on the way, remember the altitude!


Pedro keeps sheep, cows and farms 5 different crops potatoes being the largest and didnĀ“t we know it when it came to lunch! Their houses are made from mud blocks and corrugated roofs, there was electricity
available.


We chucked our bags in our room, a seperate building with a new bathroom suite! the community have been doing this sort of thing for a number of years now, some as often as once a week obviously for income but also good for their children?


Lunch was a bowl of vegetable and potatoe soup which was really yummy, followed by 4 large boiled / fried potatoes plus a plateful of funny looking potatoes, looked a bit like giant maggots! with a fried egg on top, was tasty but too much!


After lunch pedro walked us around the community, basically farmers and fishermen dwellings set along the hillside and shoreline.


Then we had a 5 a-side footy match, our group versus the locals then back to our homes for dinner more soup followed by rice pasta and veggie casserole, lots of carbs!


Then we were dressed in the local atire and attended a dance in the school hall with the rest of the group, the locals sold us some beers it was fun!


Was cool catching up with everyone else to know about their families and accomodation and activities, some had bucket flush toilets!


Next morning after breakfast we helped Pedro chop and split some firewood for a couple of hours and then walked back down to the boat for another excursion to a nearbye island Taquile.


Was very nice but very touristy, stopped there for lunch and walked up more Inca hilly paths! saw a bull on the way down!


Hour and half boat ride back to our homestay for a night of volleyball and early night to bed ready to set off in the morning after brekky.


We then had another 5 hour journey along lake Titicaca through the Bolivian border (took 2 hours at the border!) to Le Paz the highest capital city in the world at 4000m asl !


Two nights in Le Paz then off to Uyuni salt flats..........


larf






Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



4th June 2010

islands made of grass! sounds like heavan!!!

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb