La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
October 26th 2005
Published: October 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We had breakfast and got on an early bus to La Paz. Now Lake Titikaka has Boliva on one side and Peru on the other, owever the penisula with Copacabana on is on the side of Peru, so to get to La Paz we need to go back into Peru or make a small crossing. Of course this is the way to go.

Now we assumed there would be a bridge - well we were wrong! We had to get of the bus which was then driven onto a a shallow raft thing (did not look secure at all) and then we caught a boat across. This was well worth the trip alone - seeing these buses just floating across the river!

Coming into La Paz was very cool too as it is set in a a giant crater with massive mountains surrounding the city below.

This is the first major city on our trip and it does feel weird to be in a busy city again (even though it has only been just over 2 weeks!)

The first day we just wandered around looking at a few markets - they sell everything!! From bathroom sinks/toilets, to stockings to stationery to make up to light fittings! there is also a couple of streets that are the witchcraft markets. These have statues of the gods and such as well as alpaca feotuses and dried frogs and animal skins of snakes and wild cats. Also dead birds....

That night we went to a peña - a traditional music and dance show. It was very good, especially the costumes!! The guys got right into it, but the girls didn´t look too happy.. (check out the photos..)

Today we tried to see if we could go into San Pedro prison which is pretty unique. It is city within a city - has housing, shops, restaurants, etc. Families are allowed to live in there with the inmates also and people run businesses and earn money the same as the outside with the wealthy inmates enjoying views of the city and cable TV! They used to do tours but no more. Pascal & Maryke I think were slightly disappointed as it is actually something they are professionally interested in (both are pyschologists who deal with inmates)

We didn´t get in so wandered up to a square full of local school
Local busLocal busLocal bus

Very retro
kids where we were the main attraction! It started with a couple of girls wantiong a picture with Pascal, then a boy wanted one of me with him (bit worried about that!) Matt is now going to start charging anyone who wants a photo!

Well tonight is the last night with Maryke & Pascal as we go our separate ways tomorrow which is a bit sad. Tomorrow we are off to Uyuni and the salt plains!! Can´t wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dinner showDinner show
Dinner show

Check out the enthusiastic look on the girls faces
PolicePolice
Police

The police seem every ready for a riot with tear gas at hand (oh and thats the ass end of a cow?!)
Us and the guardsUs and the guards
Us and the guards

These guys look quite official until you offer to show them the picture you took and they swarm around all smiles


30th October 2005

Looks like you are having a ball. Safe travels guys!!! Love amy
31st October 2005

You wouldn't get me on one of those ...
That raft does not look safe at all. Hope you're well and you're obviously having a great time. Love the new haircut! Best from Brad, Rosa and Allegra (who keeps asking when her cousin is coming back to see her).

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb