La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
September 10th 2018
Published: September 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

There's something not right about going from the tranquil and scenic Lake Titicaca to a busy, smelly and big city of La Paz. It feels that it should have been the other way around!
Nonetheless, we didn't want to stick around La Paz for more than two nights, for us, large cities aren't our favourite as there are better things to see and do outside of them.
We stayed at a hostel (the adventure brew hostel) which was a good place to meet people and with events happening most nights. We found ourselves having a bit of a go at karaoke on the fist night (somehow the footage is missing!) and played a lot of pool and table tennis. It also had a great BBQ ip on the rooftop on our final night there.

One thing do to in La Paz, just like in Medillen, is to take the cable cars for some views of the city. The city lies in a bowl and is partly surrounded by snow capped peaks just in the distance. The only difference to the teleferico in Medellin is that you have to pay each time you get on or off to catch another line. In medellin you could ride all day on different lines (but not exit the station) on the same ticket. The views were quite nice and really did remind us of Medellin.

We also joined the walking tour with Red Cap, the walking tours aren't free in Bolivia due to the law but only cost £2 plus tips. This was quite a fun walking tour with the two guides who did it and it lasted three hours visiting landmarks, markets and a witches market where llama foetuses are available to buy for rituals!
The tour also touched on the political side of Bolivia which has had its ups and downs with its previous presidents. Bolivia appears to be heading in the right direction with their current president but there are still problems that arise.

This blog isn't the most exciting and enthusiastic blog I've ever done but for us, two days in La Paz (city with a lot of urine smells everywhere) was quite enough. Besides, we have a lot of other better things to look forward to in Bolivia!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb