Coroico, nestled in the Bolivian cloudforest


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Coroico
November 8th 2009
Published: November 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Coroico, what a beautiful place. It reminded me very much of Mindo, but definitely not as good, as I am so very fond of Mindo. The cloud forest is probably one of my favourite places. It has the right climate, beautiful scenery and enough life to keep my wildlife obsession happy! This was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of La Paz, the biggest city in Bolivia. Coroico is just a 3 hour bus ride away driving down a road very similar to the ‘world’s most dangerous road’ that is favoured by bikers with a death wish! The scenery on the way unfortunately was not as the guidebooks suggested, purely because the clouds were so low. All we could see was cloud, but luckily, the view from our hotel room in Coroico more than made up for this!

We stayed in Sol y Luna located 20 minutes walk from the centre, nestled in the trees with a view to die for. We had our own apartment, where we spent countless hours reading and just relaxing after the strenuous weeks prior. It was so nice to have a break. Although I love this experience, having so much time spent on buses, boats or planes, walking, sorting things out, jumping from place to place, you start to get a little tired. Thus, three days spent doing pretty much nothing but soaking up the beautiful surroundings was very welcome.

The atmosphere in Coroico was great too, so laid back, no hassle. We were just allowed to soak it up virtually ignored. Heaven after the nightmare of Cusco and the like with the many many touts and hawkers! On Sunday there was even a little show on for us. People from local communities had come to sell their homemade cakes, cheese, sausages, furniture and so on, just on two stalls on the plaza, accompanied by a band playing traditional and modern music. Finally a taste of the real local culture not put on for tourists!

I even found sorbet here, so it is definately in my goodbooks. Everywhere you can find ice cream with countless women shouting 'helado helado heladoooo' as they wander by with their trolleys full of ice cream, but never any sorbet... until now. A little cafe, with an incredible view, named Villa Bonita sold homemade sorbet in many different flavours. I was in heaven. If you want a place to relax with incredible music, food and atmosphere, come here! Especially if you're vegetarian or vegan, as they're an exceptional veg cafe.

There’s not much more to say about Coroico, because as I said, we pretty much just laid our heads down and watched the world go by and what a perfect place to do it in.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb