Copacabana


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
August 17th 2014
Published: August 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

View of Copacabana View of Copacabana View of Copacabana

From the top of Cerro Calvano
Our Arrival

Our bus from Puno Peru arrived in Copacabana at 12pm (with the hour time difference). We were dropped on Av 16 de Julio a couple of blocks up from Plaza Sucre.



Where We Stayed

Hostal Center - Bs. 60 for a double room with shared bathroom. It was just off Plaza Sucre and was a large room however we stayed there as it advertised wifi but it didn't work. He really struggled with change for Bs. 100.



What We Did

We walked up Cerro Calvario for a lake/town viewpoint and stations of the cross. You will feel the altitude.

Visited Basilica of Our Lady Copacabana to see the religious pilgrimage site. There were loads of people there on Sunday getting their cars blessed and setting off firecrackers and pouring champagne.

We did laundry as all our clothes were dirty. Unfortunately this was a very expensive place to have it done at Bs. 15 a kilo! We asked at several places and all were the same price. We went with the one place gave it back to us the same day. Try to avoid doing laundry here if possible.



Where We Ate

We had some salchipapas from near the market for Bs. 5.

We had a drink on the waterfront watching the sunset from a lady selling large beers for Bs. 14.



Where We Went Next

We went to La Paz. There are a couple of tourist buses leaving during the day, one in the afternoon and one at night but there are frequent other buses.

In the morning we went to Plaza Sucre and bought a ticket for the 7am bus to La Paz with Manco Kapac for Bs. 20.

At 7:55am we arrived at the ferry across the lake. Walk towards the lake and to the left for the ticket office. Cost is Bs. 2. By 8:10am we were over the other side however our bus was waiting on a raft on the original side of the lake. Most passengers who caught our bus got into minibuses off to La Paz whereas we had to wait for our bus and bags to come across.

At 8:30am the bus had made it across and we got on by the off ramp near the 'Trout Palace'.

At 8:45am we stopped for a police check. We got off the bus and split into girls and guys. They checked documents and searched handbags and in the luggage compartment.

We arrived in La Paz in a car park next to the cemetary at 10:45am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb