Bolivia!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we finally arrived in La Paz after a long trek around Lake Titicaca. Well it wasn´t really that long, we just took our sweet time. After spending a day or two on the islands on the Peruvian side we took a bus across the border with no problems and arrived in Cochabamba. We found a great little hostel and had some food while we got our laundry done and various other errands such as: sleeping, reading my book, napping and laying around. Amy got all kinds of things done: shopping, hiking up the nearest mountain and talking with locals.

All in all it was a great first day in Bolivia. The next morning we jumped on a boat to go out to the Isla del Sol. For those of you who can´t speak Spanish (I can!) it means Island of the Sun. It definitely lived up to its name. People come to this island from all over Bolivia and Peru because it is believed that this was THE birthplace of the sun. So it is a bit of a holy mecca to a people who worship the sun, moon and mother earth.

We found a beautiful hostel overlooking the lake and then went for a bit of a hike with two Australian guys we met on the boat coming over. I was hit by the altitude when we got to the first hill so I made the rest go ahead and continue the hike all the way around to the lighthouse we were aiming for. I stayed at the top and read my book, wrote in my journal and generally just enjoyed being alone on top of an island in the middle of Lake Titicaca where the sun was born.

After they got back from their hike we went and found a great place to have some beers and watch the sunset where we were joined by a fellow who was travelling from Mexico and a young lady from Denmark who was also travelling solo. There were many beers had and lots of fun before we were joined by another fellow who was born in India, grew up in France and now resides in Columbia. Lots of travel stories were traded, Spanish and other langauges practiced, cultures compared and discussed and general merry-making was had.

By the time we pried ourselves away from the beer it
For DadFor DadFor Dad

A big spider I killed, it was threatening humanity with its existence.
was pitch black on an island that had little to no electricity and we had to hike down to our hostel. There were a lot of stumbles and giggles in the dark but we finally made it to our hostels patio where we finally had a chance to look up at the sky to see incredible stars. Being in the middle of a huge lake with no large cities around and a crystal clear night, no moon... perfest for star-gazing. I finally saw the Southern Cross and all sorts of other interesting stars which I have completely forgotten.

The next morning we all split up to head our separate ways, except Amy, myself and one of the Aussie guys, Dan, we jumped a boat to the north end of the island for a night. The boat ride was eneventful but the small town we got to on a perfect sandy beach was amazing. We grabbed some lunch then walked along a trail for a bit and found a deserted beach except for some sheep. So we went swimming... in Lake Titicaca... at the birthplace of the sun. Awesome.

I stayed behind to dry off, and lay in the
A small kitten I befriendedA small kitten I befriendedA small kitten I befriended

He was so cute and tiny and really liked sitting on my book.
sun for a bit while Amy and Dan hiked around to see some ruins and temples. When they got back we grabbed some food and then hit the sack. The next morning it was pouring rain and we were glad we had decided to head back to the mainland. The boat ride was wet and long but by the time we got back to Copacabana it was sunny again. So we booked a bus ticket to La Paz and then had some lunch before boarding our bus. We were slightly delayed leaving town because the streets were choked with merry-makers since February 1 was the first day of a 5-day or so long festival honouring the patron saint of Bolivia. So there were bands marking through the streets, dancers representing different neighbourhoods (I think) and lots of colourful clothing. We finally managed to get out of Copacabana and made it to La Paz. Today we booked some flights to head down to the Amazon on Friday for a week, and then we are going to figure out where to go from there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Deserted beachDeserted beach
Deserted beach

Except for the herd of sheep.
Some Bolivian gents dancingSome Bolivian gents dancing
Some Bolivian gents dancing

They reminded me of the scene from Godfather where the old guys get up and dance around while barely moving and stamping their feet. Probably all in some kind of Bolivian mafia.
French ToastFrench Toast
French Toast

This is for Jord. It made my stomach the happiest it has been in weeks.
Internet cafe in La PazInternet cafe in La Paz
Internet cafe in La Paz

This is for Kerry, Jason and Kevin. The guy beside me right now is playing Wow. He is Alliance though, so really I should just accidentally unplug his LAN cable...


2nd February 2011
French Toast

Nice!
I remember finding the odd french toast den throughout the world, they were glorious mornings!
3rd February 2011

beautiful babes in Bolivia
Jodie: What a great blog...so glad you have no new injuries. Beware of coldsores in the land of the sun. Awsome stuff you're doing. Nasty cold here. love and kisses, jann
4th February 2011

Lucky girls!
Hey you girls...you are living such a life right now and we're all up here trying to avoid Seasonal Adjustment Disorder! You probably aren't getting much critical world news down there, and therefore wouldn't know that the groundhog did NOT see his shadow yesterday, and we will have an early spring. Hallelujah!! Keep on treking ladies and stay away from those 8 legged insects in the Amazon...shudder. xxoo

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb