His name was Rico.


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Room with a viewRoom with a viewRoom with a view

The view from our room in hotel Mirador
The border crossing into Bolivia was fairly uneventful except for the less than delightful treatment of US citizens at the crossing.

The nice border security asked to see my passport, saw the Australia emblem, then said emphatically, ah, Kangaroo, Kangaroo. Cí, Kangaroo, mucho. Smiles all round.

The US girl behind me approached with the same cheerful attitude. "Alto" Go stand over there. While the rest of us had our passports stamped with 90 day visas at no cost and no luggage search. She had her stuff searched and was charged 135 USD for a 15 day visa. They really don´t like US citizens in Bolivia these days. I guess since they´ve been pillaging South America for the last 100 years, 135 per rich tourist isn´t really too much to ask.

I soon found out the reason why they didn´t search our stuff. Because you can do and buy anything you want for very little cost. Why would anyone want to bring stuff in to Bolivia, when it´s all already here at low cost. Brilliant country this.

We decided to treat ourselves to the biggest hotel in Copacabana, the Mirador, overlooking Lake Titicaca and took a day trip
Isla Del SolIsla Del SolIsla Del Sol

View from the top of the island
out to Isla Del Sol at 1230. Little did we know, the boat would be the oldest, slowest piece of crap going around. It took 2 hours to get there, leaving us about an hour to look around, before having to return on the last 2 hour ferry. Probably a blessing in disguise, since the island is almost a carbon copy of Tekille(sic) and an hour is about all I would´ve wanted.

There are some nice pics though. I did get the feeling though, that I would like Bolivia. And I wasn´t wrong.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb