Ala Izquierda


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The last Summit attempt for this time



After Illimani Bjoern, Oeyvind, Hilde and Torbjoern had a few days left before going back to Norway. A lot of options were discussed but we ended up going back to Condoriri. Hilde and Torbjoern wanted to try a direct route on Piramida Blanca, while Bjoern, Oeyvind and I decided to go for the face at Ala Izquierda. Eirin wanted to stay in La Paz for these two days.

Jorge, our new driver since Sergio was in the mountains with a group from the British company Jagged Globe, took us back to Condoriri at tuesday 13th of july. Hilde and Torbjoern camped in base camp and got spoiled by Sergios´ team up there : )
The rest of us went up the same day to an advanced base camp close to the base of ala Izquierda.

We started around 6.30 in the morning and had an easy walk over the glacier before we met the face. The conditiones was great and we continiued up the face in a good pace. I think we summited around 10.30, to beautiful views over Lake Titicaca and Cordillera Real.
After a great climb it was quit dissapointing when we met the descent back down. It´s the worst descent I´ve ever done. We spent almost the same time back down in really loose rock. Next time I think I would prefer to downclimb the face instead!

When we arrived back in base camp Hilde and Torbjoern were still not arrived. After an hour waiting we started to get in hurry to meet up with Jorge at 5. I ran in front to tell him that we were a bit late and Bjoern and Oeyvind waited for the other two in camp. After two hours in the jeep small talking with Jorge in the limited spanish I know, they finally arrived. Hilde and Torbjoern had met some problems on the route finding it more challenging than first planned for.

But for all of us it was a good last climb here in Bolivia, for this time.

Next mission for Eirin and I is to get to Rurrenabaque and visit the pampas and the jungle.

Magnus





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



24th July 2010

Gratulerer med nok ein finfin topp. Gleder meg til å høre om turen i "live". God tur hjem til moderlandet!

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb