It was a bloody long walk!


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Knowing we would be hiking the inca trail few days after arriving in Cusco we spent our time relaxed and preparing. We visited markets, enjoying the meals there for less than £1 and walked around the beautiful city. We had our briefing on the trek, which made us all nervous as they discussed hours of walking uphill, cold weather conditions and carrying large sleeping equipment.

The first day didn't start well when our alarm failed to go off (at 5am) and our guide is at our door wondering why we weren't ready! Secondly we quickly learnt that 3 Aussy guys and us were the only people daft enough not to pay for an additional porter. It wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for the weighty sleeping bag and mattress we needed to carry with our clothes.

The first day was reasonably even with some ups and downs but continually felt doable. We saw the first of the ruins and our guide described some of the history. By the end of the day our backs had begun to ache and our whole group were in bed by 9.

We found out that the second day is the hardest and practically all uphill so we organised an additional porter for the day and my gosh it was worth it! The mountain was steep and relentless - the views were incredible! I was proud of myself for being the second person (first girl) in our group to make it the top; the hike had been very challenging and subsequently rewarding (had I carried my bag though I doubt I'd be discussing a positive experience!)

The third day we got our bags back and they were surprisingly fine to carry. It was this day we went through the cloud forest - it was very pretty and  the dangling tree vines and wooden bridges reminded me Indiana jones movies. The final day we were up at 3:45am and waiting at the check point which opens at 5am. We only had 6km to walk until we reached the finale Machu Picchu. The view of the ruins, surrounded by mountains, was impressive. At the ruins our guide described the history and purpose of the buildings. It was a little difficult to stay focused after little sleep but was interesting all the same. 

Once we'd finished wondering around we headed to the nearby town for lunch & celebratory drinks! 

Overall a great experience! The food we received was almost gourmet, having 3 courses both for lunch & dinner everyday. Porters carried our tents, cooking equipment etc then put up & down our tents each night. 

(again sorry for wrong location!)

Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb