paulo y paula perez


Advertisement
Published: January 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is a short one ladies and gentlemen on the wildlife of Cochabamba, that i´ve seen so far! First of all parrots....ive named them the Perez family, and so the 2 i´ve decided to talk about are a married couple called Paulo and Paula. Why these....well these were the first 2 I saw, and they were building a nest. The parrots here are found all over South America in both rural and Urban environments, they are green parrots and about 7 inches tall! The good points are that they look pretty, the bad points are that they are incredibly noisy and live in groups (they wouldnt be as bad solo, but in groups the noise is ear splitting)! We also have dogs, stray dogs and dogs with rabies (the first two types are pretty much the same as none have collars). Now with rabies you have to be very careful, not just because the dog may bite but also because if you see one....there are probably more around! Rabies is a pretty nasty disease all round actually, in humans you have to go to the hospital on the day of the bite or at least start the precautionary injections the next day, this consists of 1 injection a day for a week...followed by a 10 day gap and 1 injection every 10 days after that! As far as I can tell humans don´t foam at the mouth if they have rabies, but they do eventually die! Quite a bummer really....
Cats....Cochabamba has no/a few cats and they have rabies.
Other birds.....I don´t know the names but they are all small and have nice plumages (Sir David Attenwatsit would be proud of my descriptions).
OOOOOO I´ve just remember something, I learnt about a new bug today! It´s called the kissing bug (vinchuka in spanish) and like the female anophales mosquito it is the carrier for a nasty protozoa...which makes you seriously ill.
Well thats my bit on wildlife....I will let you know if I encounter anything else!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb