FACES OF BOLIVIA...A feast of Masks & Dance


Advertisement
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
March 13th 2016
Published: March 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF BOLIVIA. La Paz. Entering La Paz was like an earthquake zone. T'was tough enough crossing a river in the morning in a bouncing boat like a seed pod in a violent swell...faces of the other passengers grimacing as we were tossed about...our bus on a tin barge lurching nearby...hoping it does not sink...as our gear will sink with it. Then Denise's camera stopped working. My camera gav... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement





















Loving BoliviaLoving Bolivia
Loving Bolivia

A land full of surprises



13th March 2016

How are the kangaroos?
Ah Dancing Dave, you made me laugh with this blog. Love that you and Austrians can joke about that. I also really like that you and Denise are proven book compatible. How awesome is that? I truly hope to have the chance to meet the both of you sometime. Thanks for this great blog- yet another one in a fun series.
13th March 2016

How are the kangaroos?
Aussies and Austrians...special bond as our countries can be confused Brendan. Our meeting could only happen when traveling. I don't know what came over me but to walk up to another table and say "I want that" reaching for a woman's dessert is not something that I'd dream of doing at home. Then when they turned out to be Austrians...classic! She than offered it to me which of course I refused! I wrote down the name of that colour and birthdates book but can't find the note so the memories are our only photograph. Brilliant example of how travel is full of surprises.
13th March 2016

Bolivia captured my heart as well
A special blog David - you captured in both words & pictures the beauty of this lovely yet complex country. Bolivia took me by surprise- it's difficult history, the hope that resides in modern Bolivians' aspirations, the magnificent architecture, the awesomeness of its landscape, the sophistication & the frankness of those Bolivians that we met & talked to. Thanks for bringing it all back.
13th March 2016

Bolivia captured my heart as well
We have had some amazing adventures together Denise. We kinda guessed our private tour would be special...but still shaking my head how it turned out. Definitely up there with our best so let's hope I can do it justice in the telling.
13th March 2016

Amazing Bolivia
What a delight after returning from Tundra yesterday and reading your great blog today about a country that I always romanticized ever since I read about Che and Bolivian Diary...I guess like so many others who did the same as mine. I sure would love to travel one day to La Paz, Cochabamba, and off course to the highest altitude civilian airport at La Paz. David, it's a well written blog for a light reading...I enjoyed thoroughly. Photos are amazing, given that your own camera was kaput. I would love to get some intro about the photos though.
13th March 2016

Amazing Bolivia
Bolivia - Definitely a country to romanticise about Tab...right up there among our favourites. This blog is to entice the senses for what is to come. Still breathless...and it was not from altitude or paths well trodden.
13th March 2016

Bolivia
Another country I'd love to visit. I hope them Austrian's let you have the ice cream crepe.
13th March 2016

Bolivia
If you like spectacular landscapes Alan, take a detour to Bolivia after your trip to Peru and prepare to be astounded. You may also be able to share an icecream crepe with Austrians. She offered I scrape her plate but of course I bought my own!
16th March 2016

My friend has a wonderful collection of masks
I have a friend who has a very nice collection of masks. He has bought them in different parts of the world and they are in many defferent styles. I hope he donates them to a museum the day he decides he doesn't want them any longer. I remember when we visited La Paz a few years ago. We decided to race each other one block. The reaction I had was scary. The thin air made me loose my breath completely and I started to get tunnel vision. And that from a short 50 meter dash! /Ake
16th March 2016

My friend has a wonderful collection of masks
So do we Ake, mainly from Africa. Our kids' school friends used to call our place a museum! The ones from Sucre were insane as evidenced in the photos. As you run marathons, I can only imagine how scary it must have been to be unable to breath in La Paz after a run. Altitude can often affect the fittest the most as they need more oxygen for their muscles, we were told in Tibet. Then there are those who say it is a lottery who are the most affected. Acclimatization is critical too which fortunately we had time to do.
17th March 2016

i don't believe in Astrology
but the chances of two birthday's being compatible with each other are just too fantastic I had to think twice about my preconception!
17th March 2016

I don't believe in Astrology
Nor do I Harold. Nor do I believe in Numerology that this is maybe closer to. This was not just birthdays...it was compatibility of actual birthdates...in print...in a book...in Bolivia...karoomba!

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.16s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb