Rurrenabaque: The Gateway to the Pampas and the Amazon


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

PlanePlanePlane

Gali, Seth
We flew to Rurrenabaque with Amazonas Airline on a small 17 passenger twin propeller plane. In the air we were all freaked out as the tail seemed to be swaying with the wind. To quote Dani, ¨I have honestly never been so terrified in my life.¨ Not to worry though, we got there and back safely! The landing strip in Rurre is grass so if there is any rain, all the flights for that day and the next are cancelled. Luckily, there was no rain while we were there. (We are traveling in the dry season) The ticket cost about $75 US each way. The other option is busing, everyone we met who bused there, flew back saying it was the scariest bus ride.

The town is very small but filled with restaurants and a few bars to hang out at. It is very pretty being sandwiched between forest covered mountains and the Beni River. There is also a great vibe. A really cool place to hang out and wind down for a bit. After arriving, we booked our pampas and jungle excursions, then spent the afternoon wandering around the town and relaxing at our hostel.

We slept at El Lobo Hostel which is a little outside the center (3 minute walk). The hostel has one big pro and one big con. The pro is the view over the Beni and the beautiful sunset. The con is the windows are not covered so you risk being eaten alive by the mosquitoes. We took the chance, worth it for the one night but any more than that........

The next morning we departed on our Pampas Tour.

Great stories and pictures to come!

(If you are heading through Rurre, check out the Madidi Boat Tour (Booze Cruise). We met the owner on our way back to La Paz. He is a great guy! Worth supporting!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our PlaneOur Plane
Our Plane

The Pilots can be seen and heard. No bullet proof door on this flight!
Our PlaneOur Plane
Our Plane

17 Seats!
Landing StripLanding Strip
Landing Strip

Your eyes are not deceiving you, the landing strip is grass.
Beni RiverBeni River
Beni River

View from our hostel room.
YUP!YUP!
YUP!

Gali
Moskito BarMoskito Bar
Moskito Bar

Omer, Seth
Moskito BarMoskito Bar
Moskito Bar

Gali playing darts.
Moskito BarMoskito Bar
Moskito Bar

Dani playing darts
Moskito BarMoskito Bar
Moskito Bar

Omer, Matt


3rd July 2009

whose afraid of spiders
yeah gali, you have overcome your fear of spiders, no more running downstairs to kill a spider in gali's bathroom or bedroom. loved the pictures

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb