Jungle-Tastic


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had heard from many a traveller who had passed through Bolivia, that the trip to Rurrenabaque and the Bolivian Amazon was well worth the arduous and occasionally dangerous journey that took you there.

First the bus ride, an 18 hour slog down the Yungas road, formally the worlds most dangerous, this is because of the chasm like drops on one side, the inability to have 2 vehicles pass eachother without some reversing, and the fact that the Bolivian bus drivers think they´re at Silverstone. Many of the weaker hearted and richer people we met kopped out and flew ( wimps), however they did save themselves a hot sweaty 17 hours and probably arrived fresher and less covered in dust.

Another main draw for this trip is the price, being considerably cheaper that any other Amazon type adventure you could take in Brasil, Peru, or Colombia, with the added benefit that the animals are as guaranteed as they can be when they are living in the wild.

Once in Rurrenabaque, Julia myself and our new man on the inside Tom, who although was not overtly impressed with his new ways of travelling from A to B, i.e by psycopathic cocoa leaf chewing drivers, was looking forward to some time in the relative wilderness, and some air at a more sociable altitude. He was not totally happy however as his dislike of intense sun gave the boat ride on the last day slightly burnt tinge for us all.

Anyway on to the animals..... When these tours are offered up there are inevitably an array of outrageous claims and frankly lies told to ensure you spend your dollar with said company, and we felt that with the best part of an Attenborough programme offered to us that we were unlikely to see all if many of promised exotic animals, how wrong we were!!!

From the off the water was full of pink river dolphins, which are hard to capture on film but there nonetheless apparent, as were the many many Alligators, Caiman, Kapiburugh ( worlds biggest rodent), Anacondas, Piranhas, Monkeys, Sloths, and of course the tricky to find Mosquito!!!!

Suffice to say that this trip was expletive-tastic and we shall let the pictures show themselves!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb