Best of Iguazu


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
March 10th 2016
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.6861, -54.3219

Todays Iguazu experience was much more enjoyable than yesterdays experience. For a start, we woke at 6.30 in silence. No rain, no lightning, no storms. If anything, it was a fraction on the cool side, around 20c. With our boots still soaked through from yesterdays downpour, thongs and an extensive coating of deet was our attire for the day. With passports packed, we met our guide Sidnei and headed for the Argentina border. We'd spend the day viewing the falls from the Argentina side. Theres much debate about which side offers the better views, mostly tainted by some substantial bias. However, weather aside, theres no doubt that the Argentina side offers the better all around views and experience in general.

Once inside the park, we boarded the first train to the devils throat walking bidge. This was around 1100 metres long over the rivers at the top of the falls we saw yesterday from the Brazillian side. Whilst not raining, it was still very wet and slippery underfoot on this bridge so the going was slow. Two other Australians expressed the same concerns to us. We got chatting to Dom and Rachel from Wollongong as their camera battery had died and asked if we could take a couple photos of them there. No problems. Whilst still cloudy and overcast, visibility up here was pretty good despite the spray. Certainly a million times better than yesterday.

We remet Sidnei, took the train to another spot and spent the next couple hours wandering the falls, stopping at countless viewpoints, lookouts, bridges and layers. The area is so, so vast, separate falls seem to appear everwhere, stretching for miles, in different shapes, widths and sizes, often in layers. We managed to see plenty more wild coatis, capuchin monkeys, big spiders, fish, a big turtle and wild birds, flycatchers and jaybirds. Not far ahead were some of my favourite viewpoints, offering an ampitheatre view of some falls, one spot allows you to get close enough to almost touch the falls, hear the thunder and feel the refreshing spray.

Eventually, we found our way down to the rivers edge to embark on our "Iguazu Ultimate Adventure" activity.. Whilst wed taken a complete involuntary soaking yesterday, we signed up for this one. The first and main part of this adventure was a speed boat ride around the river and eventually into and behind two of the waterfalls. Youre given waterproof bags to store youre things and we both had spare clothes packed. Being a gentleman, I gifted my new wife my fashionable garbage bag robe from yesterday. The speedboat was a lot of fun, and a thorough soaking.. tasting the falls was non negotiable, though I guess we probably have Zika virus now or something.The boat took us downstream to drop us off and dry off. Then a short climb for Part 2 of our adventure, a "safari truck ride" through the jungle. This was more a peaceful, bumpy truck ride through thick impressive vegetation. No animals to be seen. The main ones that do rarely appear here are the Taipir, Collared Peccary and Jaguar. Few have ever seen a jaguar including our guide who has lived in Iguazu his whole life.


At the conclusion of our 'adventure' we remet our guide for lunch around 2. We decided at his recommendation to try some Argentine pastries; mince, chicken and ham and cheese. Pretty tasty for junk food! A quick stop at a museum in an old hotel here before we were heading for the park exit and back into Brazil for our final night. Thankfully no issues crossing the border for either of us, Nat with her Australian passport and reciprocity fee receipt, and me with my Dutch passport.

Another food update over the last two nights in Iguasu Brazil. Last night we asked hotel reception for advice for a good pasta restaurant. They recommended a place called 4 Sorelle. They advised a free shuttle to and from the restaurant was available, 10 minutes drive. Tired, we wanted to stay close but with heavy rain we took the shuttle option. Transfer was legit, and venue itself quite nice. We actually felt well underdressed with the locals looking dressed up! A free drink was included, prices average and waiters very friendly. We ordered a pasta for 2.. and without ranting, it was just awful. The flavours, texture, we just couldn't stand to eat it all. We washed it down with juices and bailed.

Tonights dinner was a big improvement. With my tooth slowly feeling better, and being our last night in Brazil we decided to head 100m down the road to a "bbq meat buffet". For around $10aud you get all you can eat meat, salads and desserts. Plus waiters are around to your table every 8 seconds with a new portable meat spit to offer. I loved one bbq roast beef. Delish!

Check my next entry for an account of our brief adventure into Paraguay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Our flycatcher friendOur flycatcher friend
Our flycatcher friend

Similar to the bird we saw by the pool a couple days ago


15th March 2016

These falls are the most spectacular sight that I think you have ever posted. Simply awesome and a demonstration of the power of nature. The power of water. Where does it all come from.
15th March 2016

What a lovely looking married couple

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb