Junin de los Andes--Charming


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 12th 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

If it's Cowboy, You Can Find It HereIf it's Cowboy, You Can Find It HereIf it's Cowboy, You Can Find It Here

Streets surrounding the main plaza were lined with these stalls selling every type of tack, clothing, apparatus--everything a cowboy, or cowgirl, could need.
Geo: -39.93, -71.08

Pretty, neat and clean, that's Junin de los Andes. Perched on the edge of the Chimehuin River and within 60km of the volcano Lanin, Junin is a sportsman's paradise--much like Wisdom and Dillon, Montana.

We loved it the minute we stepped off the bus. It couldn't be more different from El Bolson and Bariloche, both attractive in their own ways, but not like this. Bariloche's too chic and El Bolson's too ragged.

In Junin we feel at home and this lovely ApartHotel we're staying in is straight out of Germany. It's immaculate with overflowing gardens, but as hospitable as going to your favorite aunt's. The owner keeps telling us to call her personally if we need anything and wants us to come again next year so her husband and her can go fishing with us. The Fontanazza's, Giselle's family, are friends of theirs and only a half block down the street.

As it happens, we're here during a big gaucho festival and it's a needed update to our previous post about the beginnings of this rough bunch. Their life is a lot like our own cowboys--hard working, making their living herding cattle and riding horses. Unlike the beginnings of the
Bob with his new gaucho friendsBob with his new gaucho friendsBob with his new gaucho friends

These guys were so cool, Bob stopped them in the market and asked if I could take a picture of them with him.
gaucho, this is a much more romantic and up to date version--not the villains of the past. And like our cowboys, these fellows still dress in a traditional way--their traditions. High boots, billowing trousers, a couple wide belts with large knives stuck in the back. I can't see an American cowboy in these getups--but they are very cool on them.

We spent an afternoon out at the exposition grounds watching horse games. That was the translation we were given, but it looked a lot like a rodeo. Today was a celebration of the women of the country, so the contestants were all women. I was glad to see they were wearing the gaucho cap because I'd been wearing it all day and had been getting weird looks. Didn't know if it was because it was a man's cap or just because I looked weird. Guess it's the latter.

Oh well. It was hot on the fairgrounds so we only stayed a couple of hours.

Homes here are well kept with flowers and grass! Real Grass. It's lovely walking down the tree lined streets not having to dodge dog doo, trash and broken tiles. We could easily stay here a week or more--it's
Popcorn's for Pouring Popcorn's for Pouring Popcorn's for Pouring

Dad moved the kids over to this table to eat their popcorn where they wouldn't make a mess. This kid no sooner got sat down then decided it looked best all out on the table.
Bob's favorite, even more than Colonia because this is a real city, not a Unesco World Heritage Site.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Alina's Garden--Alina Apart HotelAlina's Garden--Alina Apart Hotel
Alina's Garden--Alina Apart Hotel

Great little place with beautiful flowers in every corner. This is the view off our patio.
Bob and friendBob and friend
Bob and friend

I loved this gaucho and his missing teeth. Bob just likes being tall.


14th February 2010

I think the looks may have to do with the way you are wearing the hat. Try pulling over on one side a bit more so it looks less like a platter! Cool pix, especially the ones with the decorative knives in the belts, and the beautiful blue sk
y and luscious flowers!
14th February 2010

Thanks, but when you're in gaucho country, the platter look is in. Very IN. This is no France, this is serious gaucho. So I went around town for two days looking like a dork with my husband saying, oh, you look so cute.Yea, right.

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb