Day 231 Argentina, Salta.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
July 7th 2015
Published: July 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone,



After our lazy day yesterday catching up with blogs, we decided to head into town to explore today. We got up early, had breakfast at the hostel then caught the $3.90 Peso bus into town at 10.00, which was about 30 minutes. Luckily Vick had her GPS maps working so we knew where to get off near the main square.



First thing we did was to walk to the bus station to book tickets to Cafayate as it’s cheaper to book at the station than online most of the time!!



On the walk back we stopped at a little restaurant for lunch Vick had soup but they had run out of everything else so I waited and got some empanadas in a small place elsewhere.



We wandered around shops and the local area, it’s a small city and really dusty but they are spending money to update the roads. Next we headed to the Museo de Arqueología de Alta Montaña to see the famous frozen children.



This museum displays an archeological find discovered in the summits of the Llullaillaco Volcano, one of the places chosen by the Incan culture for their ritual ceremonies. The main exhibits are the preserved sleeping Incan children from Llullaillaco. These three children were found in the snow-capped summits of the Llullaillaco Volcano, 6,700 meters above sea level, having been purposely left after a ceremony during which they were sacrificed to act as mediators between the people and the gods. They were buried 1.5 meters deep under rock and dirt; these bodies after 500 years maintain the appearance of having just been buried. This is due to the dryness of the air and the low temperatures, which allowed researchers to find the funerary bundles and the offerings in the very same way they had been laid during the religious ceremony. The freezing condition has preserved the muscular build including the inner organs! Also the children didn’t present any kind of trauma, which makes death causes unknown but believed they were made unconscious through a very strong alcohol drink or even hallucinogens.



We managed to find the bus stop to get the bus back to the hostel. Once back we chilled out, started chatting to everyone and decided to have a night out drinking in the hostel!!



We had a pasta dinner as the hostel as they were doing another BBQ, however as we had it a few days before we opted out. We ended up out till 1am drinking blood bombs, playing ring of fire and beer pong on the table tennis table. It was a really good night.



Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.427s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb