Heading South


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

I think I finally got some of the photos uploaded to webshots so hopefully this link will work.

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by SharonNee



Sat Afternoon Feb 1
Well have a bit of time before I need to get ready for dinner (our 2nd formal night) so thought I’d post a few details on some of the lectures we’ve had (3 today so I’m feeling very educated right now). Earlier this week we had presentations by the same naturalist we had on our Alaska trip last year. On this trip he’s giving port overviews that include history of the area etc. He also does commentary on the decks as we leave port. Warren Salinger is the lecturer on board. He first sailed HAL at the age of 6 as a refuge from Germany to America. So he’s been sailing with them quite a bit. His talks are more detailed and include more history and political type information. Today’s talk was on Patagonia in preparation for our stops there after Antarctica. We’ve also been introduced to the Ice Captain who will be doing some presentations later. The first apparently showing us where he thinks we’ll be going in Antarctica and one later going over where we actually went (it obviously depends on the ice the days we’re there). They have also now brought on board what they call the Antarctica Team, Bernard Stonehouse and Caroline Gunn, who did their first 2 presentations today. They both did the talk this morning on the wildlife of the Southern Oceans. Bernard did this afternoon’s presentation on “My Friend the Penguin”. What stories he has. He volunteered for his first expedition to Antarctica in 1947 as part of the English Navy because it was boring after the war. He was originally the 2nd pilot and meteorologist (even though that isn’t what he was trained in). However, after they crashed their plane there the pilot became the meteorologist and he became the biologist (no training). He spent 3 years there and was one of the first to study the Emperor penguins and why they have their chicks in the winter (i.e. think March of the Penguins). It was a very interesting presentation but hopefully there’s no test at dinner tonight! There have been some sightings of penguins swimming today but I haven’t seen any yet. It’s really windy on deck and much cooler than yesterday but I did watch for awhile. Maybe I’ll see some from my window here since it’s closer to the water! I had planned to go to the Celebrity Chat between lunch and the lectures but ran into some people from the cc board and had lunch with them instead. Well that’s about it for now. Think I’ll try my luck at the casino before getting dressed for dinner.

Bye for Now
Sharon



Advertisement



3rd February 2008

Pictures
Hi Sharon, Could not get the picures to come up. I'm being told there is an error in the link. Darn I really wanted to see them. Will catch later. Janet (Randy Travis Fan)
3rd February 2008

So Exciting!!!
So glad you are having a great trip. Will be interested to see photos from Falklands tour. What is your Ice Captain's name? We had Captain Toomey (Sp?) and he was so great - great talks and we never got stuck! Have fun!
3rd February 2008

How Does it work?
So how do you access internet for email etc., with HAL? Do they have a flat fee? Erin and I hope to set up a blog for our trip, this is great!
3rd February 2008

Access from Ship
Dennis - HAL has several plans. I bought the 250 mins for $100 and since I did it the first day I got an extra 20 mins. I think it's $50 for 100 mins or $.75/min if you don't buy a plan. I've already used about 100 mins so may need a few more but should be close to what I bought.
3rd February 2008

Ice Captain
It is the same Ice Captain. Just had our first lecture with him and he was very interesting.
3rd February 2008

Photo Link
Janet - See if this works any better by SharonNee
5th February 2008

Photos
Sharon, I finally got the pictures open and they are great pics. Thanks for sending them. Looking forward to more of them. Janet

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb