South America Day 23 - El Chalten


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 31st 2019
Published: February 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today there has been a difference of opinion. I planned a pleasant drive to a lake but have been overruled. Instead, we are doing a 10 km hike up a mountain to a different lake. It seems rather foolish to walk, particularly uphill, when we have paid good money for a hire car.

After breakfast and the packing of supplies (my latest addiction ā€“ Rocklets galletitas ā€“ cookies with chocolate chips and mini smarties) we set off. Iā€™m only sulking a little bit, but the combination of the beautiful scenery and the endorphins from the exertion of walking 5 km uphill soon win me round.

First stop is a viewpoint over the Rio de las Vueltas where we spot an eagle soaring over the valley. We move on through the beach forest to a viewpoint over the spiky peaks of Cerro Fitz Roy sticking up through the clouds. Then we continue to pretty little Laguna Capri. After a brief rest on the lakeside, we set off back downhill.

Going back down is easier in some ways, but harder on the knees and because there are so many people to pass coming up the trail.

At the bottom I decide to get some lunch and have a rest. The old man opts for a further 3 km walk to the waterfall of Chorillo del Salto.

On our final evening in El Chalten, I go in search of souvenirs whilst the old man goes to the supermarket to buy dinner. On the menu; bread and 6 slices of ham, because that was the highest number he knew in Spanish. It could have been worse - he only learned four, five and six yesterday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb