The world's most southerly city


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
October 24th 2016
Published: October 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lima to Ushuaia


Lima was pleasant city which we really enjoyed and Buenos Aires has proven to be just as good. We are staying in microcentral within spitting distance of Plaza San Martín and a rather large shopping district. We have one full day in the city so we decided to do some of the more difficult sites to get too including the Recoleta Cemetery which is a walled necropolis located in the Recoleta district, we had to change trains twide to get there.

I have never seen so cemetery made up almost entirely of crypts and sarcophagi and we spent an hour and a half looking at tombs including that of Evita Perone. Next we reboarded the metro travelling to the zoological gardens where we saw some of South America's unique fauna including Spectacle Bears and Giant Anteaters. The zoo is sadly out of date and tired looking but the animals looked healthy well managed. Ruth then dragged me to the Evita Museum which was very dull.

We then headed back into the overcrowded subway system travelling to the Plaza de Republico where we had a feed in the shadow of the obelisk before walking back to San Martín and it's
Evita's tombEvita's tombEvita's tomb

Recoleta Cemetery
wonderful army museum. I have never seen so many weapons in one place their collection is multinational and included samurai and zulu weapons.

The next day we flew to Ushuaia the world's most southerly city, the views of yhe mountains from the aircraft as we approached the city were wonderful. I walked out of the airport in shorts and t-shirt into a cold wind almost getting blown away as we climbed into a cab. Our accommodation is 4km from the centre and nothing is very close so the next day we walked down to the centre, it being Sunday most places were closed but we had a good look around before walking back in the afternoon, it doesn't get dark here till 9pm. Tomorrow we board our ship for three weeks in the Southern Ocean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

A church like tombA church like tomb
A church like tomb

Recoleta cemetery
Gothic style cryptGothic style crypt
Gothic style crypt

Recoleta cemetery
Some of the 4800 vaults Some of the 4800 vaults
Some of the 4800 vaults

Recoleta cemetery
Plaza San Martín Plaza San Martín
Plaza San Martín

Buenos Aires
Japanese warriorJapanese warrior
Japanese warrior

Military museum
Pistol bayonetsPistol bayonets
Pistol bayonets

Military museum


13th November 2016

At the bottom
From there you work your way up. This is an experience we hope to have one day.

Tot: 0.435s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 42; qc: 140; dbt: 0.1551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb