Ushuaia: The End of the World


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
April 1st 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have come to the End of the World, Ushuaia which is the southern most city in the world. Cruise leave from here to the Antartica and guess this will be the nearest I can get to the Antartica. Had only intend to stay here for 4 days but somehow, we spent 6 days here having a wonderful time, not only for the beautiful scenery, but also for the lovely people we meet here in Hostel Cruz Del Sur.

The first impression was quite scary. The moment we entered, we see many big guys smoking and drinking and next, we were brought to a dungeon where our room is. However, from the second day onwards, we pretty enjoyed the company of the people in the hostel. We met a Taiwanese girl who has been travelling alone for the past 7 months and the things she did were incredible. She trekked in the mountains alone for 5 days and almost lost her way, she wanted to approach the Chilean navy to bring her to Antartica but the last ship has left, she begged the captain to allow her onboard a ship to come to Ushuaia at US$10 (when it would normally cost US$100) etc... So interesting to hear about what these people can do, either to save some money or to fulfill their dreams.

The owner of the hostel, Luca, is really hospitable. I can't remember how it happend, but he offered to cook curry chicken for us! It wasn't the best that we tasted, but definitely something that reminds us of home.

Not forgetting to mention the sights of Ushuaia. Did some trekking at the national park, Tierre Del Fuego and the Martial Glacier. It's the first time I see a whole colony of wild rabbits roaming around in the park. They're soooo adorable. The scenery there is also wonderful. Its autumn now and the leaves of the trees are turning red and yellow. And these trees are everywhere in the mountains. Wait till I download some of the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb