On the road again


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
December 8th 2019
Published: December 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

So here I am with KP again. One might think that to be a liability but in all charity I gain from his presence. So where have we been and what have we done? Lots.

In Buenos Aries we did the usual. (We ate big chunks of steak and drank copious amounts of malbec.) Evenings at jazz clubs and milongas and daily wanderings.(My leg hurts)

Then to Mendoza where the nonsense began. Just imagine sitting on the back of a horse for three days among thorny dastardly rose shrubs having your legs shredded just for fun. The terrain in the foothills of the Andes was rugged, the horses stubborn but sure footed. We encountered magnificent views up into the peaks and
down across the desert plain. I felt alive and were it not for having to put up with a know everything nurse all was wonderful.

The nearby hot springs were hot but crowded. In my hired cossey I frolicked being careful not to aggravate my bad leg. Incidentally Kevin's Spanish is much improved; so I can let him do all the negotiating. A pleasing relief with surprising outcomes.

In Mendoza we varied our diet a bit : Mexican, Italian as well as big meat chunks. All portions were larger than can be obtain at the copra shed as well as tasting as they should. Especially the pizzas. (That is for GT.) Spanish seems to be easier. Argentineans are still as friendly as we found them three years except for the occasional conniving taxi driver.

From Mendoza it is but a short trip to visit the tallest mountain in the whole of the Americas, USA eat your heart out. I suspect that Mr Trump would disagree. So in summary, Mendoza has spectacular desert and mountain scenery. Kevin kept reminding me that it was just like Arizona but really it is better.

We travelled by bus from BA to Mendoza. It was a Special Executive class. We could lie flat and we got a good nights sleep. We travelled by bus from Mendoza to BA. It was a Special Executive class. Kevin did not get a good nights sleep because the beds did not go right down flat. He spent a lot of time condemning CATA buses. I slept well.

"Plane to Ushuaia was very basic", said Kevin, "Just like Ryan air" .

Ushuaia the most southerly city in the world, bit of a tourist trap but beautiful. Every little attraction was too choreographed. It was done in an attempt to justify the overpricing, I think. Their desire to make things seem of value resulted in lots of herding, queuing and extra little charges. But you can't make a silk purse out of a cat's gall bladder can you. See Ushuaia but do your train rides, horse rides , trekking etc. in other parts of the country. Boat trip to see the Penguins was a typical example of strange service but I am glad that we did it.

Another day in Ushuaia only once more to be abused by jumped up tour leaders, gate keepers and self appointed herders. It is not that tjey are not performing useful tasks, they are. It is just that they behave like prison wardens rather than helpful assistants.

All for now, back to BA soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb