Sao Paulo, El Calafate and Ushuaia


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Spent just one day in Sao Paulo to get my flight down to Argentina. Not a very interesting city but it is incredible how massive it is- The metro gives you a rough idea of the scale (Se, the main station is about four times the size of kings cross!) and I went to the top of edificio italio in the centre. When you get up to the 41st story there is a viewing terrace and there are tower blocks and concrete in every direction as far as the eye can see.

El Calafate was a really nice change from the big cities. Went to see the perito moreno glacier which is really amazing- the pictures dont do it justice at all! Big chunks of ice fall off every 20 mins or so and they make a huge crashing sound as they hit the water. Did a trek onto the glacier as well and saw lots of sink holes and crevices etc. The ice really is beautiful, as you look down into the holes you see the compacted ice below which turns a deep blue colour.

After this, got a quick flight down to Ushuaia (most southerly city in the world). It´s a very small city but very nice too, nestled in-between mountains that form the end of the Andes. Spent a day in Tierra del Fuego national park (got in for free too because it was 1st May!) which is filled with stunning scenary. Again, the pictures just cant capture what it is really like!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb