Days 73 - 76 El Calafate, El Chalten and the Glaciers


Advertisement
Published: January 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are back in Argentina which means more steak, more red wine and more dulce de leche! First stop was El Calafate which was a very touristy town geared solely, it seemed, to get people to the Perito Moreno glacier – one of the few stable, large glaciers in the world which advances 1.7 metres a day. This results in many carvings (ice falling off the front) which is spectacular to see. We had a truly amazing day exploring the glacier from different view points and angles. It's one of the most beautiful things we've ever seen and although there were lots of other people looking at it too it was well worth the visit. Then it was back to El Calafate for another night before an early morning bus, 4 hours further north but still in Los Glacieres national park to El Chalten, where we managed an afternoons walk up to see the Fizroy mountain range. The tops of the towers were in cloud but again the views and scenery were amazing.

The next day we set off on an ice trek on the Viedma Glacier. It involved a bus and a boat ride to get there and we spent a couple of hours walking over the ice in crampons which was great fun. We saw an amazing tunnel and sink hole and we each had a glass of baileys with ice from the glacier, delicious.

Today (28th) we are travelling further north, this time on a plane because it takes 2 days on a bus, to Bariloche for a few days where we hope to do more walking and out door activities. We are also hoping to be able to swap the fleeces and cagoules for shorts and t-shirts again before we head home!



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb